Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soap box time.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Soap box time..... Reply with quote

In reading a number of the comments on the JRSalvino Olds kit(s), I can't get over how many complaints there are about this kit.
BE GLAD that a company is trying to fill a modeling void when it comes to NASCAR kits, right or wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me ask this....is there ANY NASCAR kit that is/was 100% perfect??????????
And I mean 100% perfect!!!!

Look at what those interested in short track oval race cars have available to us....
Tell me what company is producing current style short track cars??????
0...Nada....NONE!!!!!
The latest RE-ISSUE of the Monogram sprint (Tony Stewart,,,IIRC) is just a re-hashed kit that was originally issued in 1987!! There have been NO current day sprint car chassis produced since 1987.....
Where are the IMCA style modified, late models, stock cars, hobby stock cars?????
There are NONE!!!
Yet these type cars are the main stays of many tracks in the Mid-West from Minnesota to Texas and points West, into California....

How many of you ever tried building the AMT Grant King sprint car that was issued around '74 - '75???? Talk about needed HEAVY massaging, AND with no correct tires, either for dirt track or pavement. Oh the tires were slicks but far too tall for what was used on paved tracks. Did that stop me from buying more???? No....lack of $$$ did.......Since the reissue 10-12 years ago through the efforts of another company, that kit was finally reissued for the 3rd time....was out of building models when the 2nd issue was release, when they combined the parts for the sprint and wedge supermodied. But since the 2006/2007 issue through DTR, I've collect 11 of those reissues, plus finding one of the /80's reissues....again. lack of $$$ kept me from getting more, even more so now...

Okay....enough for now.....
Embarassed Embarassed Wink Smile Smile Smile

yeah, in one of those moods, today......

Last edited by sentsat71 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said x2. And one needs to look no further than a current post on the grayside forum to see what lengths people are willing to go to build a correct Bill Elliot 1985 Thunderbird. Some kits require extra work. It's a hobby. If a person gets all roiled up over a model car, I wonder how they would act if some serious were to happen? Geez, It's just a model car kit. If it's causing your blood pressure to rise, take up needle point or something less stressful.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking over the body, I feel like a little cosmetic work in the grille area, smaller tail light pods and some sheet plastic down the sides will do it. I plan on starting some body mods tonight and posting some progress pics. I've been talking with Salvinos a lot. The Monte Carlo seems to be coming together well.

Their biggest issue is rushing.

Either way, this kit will be upgraded in the next issue. This one is limited run to 5,000 pieces. I look at it as a precipitous launch to get their factory up and running. They are constantly making changes and adding details so here's hoping their product improves and their consumer base grows.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issues with the kit stem from how it was announced and marketed as a "new tool" kit of a subject that has never been available in kit form.

They did not say " we are copying the MPC Grand National rear clip and mating it to the interior and front suspension from the Polar Lights Charger", which is more or less what they did. For what ever reasons, they really hurt themselves right out of the gate with this kit.

I would rather they cloned the one piece AMT Malibu/Monte Carlo chassis than what they did.

At any rate, we can't delete or not allow both good and bad reviews of this kit. What has been posted here is mild compared to Facebook and some other sites.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
My issues with the kit stem from how it was announced and marketed as a "new tool" kit of a subject that has never been available in kit form.

They did not say " we are copying the MPC Grand National rear clip and mating it to the interior and front suspension from the Polar Lights Charger", which is more or less what they did. For what ever reasons, they really hurt themselves right out of the gate with this kit.

I would rather they cloned the one piece AMT Malibu/Monte Carlo chassis than what they did.

At any rate, we can't delete or not allow both good and bad reviews of this kit. What has been posted here is mild compared to Facebook and some other sites.
I'll be honest here. I've been too scared to go near the facebook posts! Shocked
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From seeing a previous post about that F/B page, know I won't be going near it.... Laughing

I'll stick to the short track modeling site......
Talk about creativity.....in a word, WOW.....

Going back to the topic of the AMT Grant King sprint kits,
1st kit I saw on the store shelves was the Super Modified version while waiting for the one I ordered by mail (did that take forever!! lol)
In using the frame "jig" that was included in the kit, I found the first real mistake of the kit. Before the glue dried, on the frame parts, something didn't look right. took out that belly pan and guess what, it would not slide over the frame. Back then I had the patience to work on the jig until the belly pan nicely fit over the frame. the rest of that build went okay....except for the side openings for the exhaust, the slot for the exhaust did not line up for the exhaust to fit. it was when i got my hands on the 1st sprint versions (back then, the spring and supermod were kitted separately) did other major issues come up. The hood was too thick where it went around the front of the cage....had to really remove plastic to get that to fit right.....then the nose, as molded did not even come close to clearing the front axle....more mods....
But did that stop me from buying more? No.....built another 8 sprints and 3 supermodifieds, sprints are still in good shape after around 16 moves since being built, including CA to FL to NM to IA......The sprints still survive in decent shape....one of the supermods was not packed right at some point in time, and is busted up, but still around, Another I started to take apart to make some changes to the body work back in the late 80's and still sits that way today, My fave of the supers is still in good shape while the 4th was tossed as I did not like the mods I made to the hood/nose.....
A 9th sprint was deliberately never finished beyond the frame, as in a spare frame if and when needed if a team car was damaged beyond repair while on the road...so to speak. Inherited one from my oldest brother when he move from one house to another and had not place to display it, along with a few other models he had built. Yes, had to "fix" the hood, nose and exhaust slots before I was happy with it.....
Will have to figure out which photo posting outfit to go with after the fiasco with PB....
Unless someone here would post them for me........
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is that we need to let this model producer evolve and learn. I've bought kits from nearly ever producer that sucked. I wasn't happy but they also produced kits that were pretty darn good. I'll go again and buy another from the new kids. If they don't improve then I will reconsider. I think they are trying. I'd rather have a marginal kit than no kit at all. We have entered a brave new world. Many of the old producers are gone....like Crosby, Stills and Nash said...."If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Well said.

I Agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: