Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1968 Fairlane Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchpl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: 1968 Fairlane Question Reply with quote

Hi All
this picture is mentionnede to be AJ Foyt + Hoss Ellington , in 1970 :

this other one is mentionned to be Foyt aswel
Racing Ref gives infos about races of 70 season , but Ellington and AJ Foyt don't appear together in no one of them ..
can you give any explaination on this ?
thanx !
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Paul!

Hope you are doing well. It has been a while since we corresponded.

You are correct that these 2 drivers did not race together in 1970, in a NASCAR stock car race.

I haven't had time to research these photos, but I would say you are looking at pictures from either a USAC or ARCA race.

Another clue that this is a race from another sanctioning body is that AJ Foyt is driving a 1968 or '69 Galaxie. Galaxies were not very common in the NASCAR Grand National Circuit after 1966 having been replaced by the 1966 '67 Fairlanes and subsequently the Fairlane/ Torino bodied cars. Galaxies were still raced up through the early 70's though by the likes of Elmo Langley and Wendell Scott whose racing budgets were considerably lower than the other teams.

ARCA races seemed to feature a lot more Galaxies than NASCAR or USAC after 1966. Also the "age requirements" in ARCA were looser. You could race cars that were older than the 3-year limit that NASCAR had set. Another thing, AJ Foyt never ran NASCAR, USAC stock cars, Indy cars or F1 for a low budget team. He always had the latest equipment, so there is a high probability that we're looking at an ARCA race here. Older cars, lower budgets lesser known drivers etc. all were accepted in ARCA.

I could be way off base here since it is late at night and I'm just rationalizing this out-loud from the photos and from what I've learned. So I'm not saying I'm totally correct, just throwing out some ideas and theories for consideration.

Regards,

Jerry
john843

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that Foyt never ran in an ARCA race in any year. I guess that would leave USAC.

https://www.arcaracing.com/articles/1999588-foyt-connected-to-arca-tour

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to be Charlotte - by the rail stripes - and that looks like Bill Champion's Ford, with the 0 painted over to a 1 for some reason.

There was probably an error about the number (AJ's Bowsher ride was #11).

Oddly, Racing Reference has Foyt/Bowsher with the number 1 rather than 11 for the Fall Charlotte race, which apparently was Bill Champion's number for just this race, rather than his usual 10. THAT is a strange little mystery to me.
frenchpl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
Bonjour Paul!

Hope you are doing well. It has been a while since we corresponded.

You are correct that these 2 drivers did not race together in 1970, in a NASCAR stock car race.

I haven't had time to research these photos, but I would say you are looking at pictures from either a USAC or ARCA race.

Another clue that this is a race from another sanctioning body is that AJ Foyt is driving a 1968 or '69 Galaxie. Galaxies were not very common in the NASCAR Grand National Circuit after 1966 having been replaced by the 1966 '67 Fairlanes and subsequently the Fairlane/ Torino bodied cars. Galaxies were still raced up through the early 70's though by the likes of Elmo Langley and Wendell Scott whose racing budgets were considerably lower than the other teams.

ARCA races seemed to feature a lot more Galaxies than NASCAR or USAC after 1966. Also the "age requirements" in ARCA were looser. You could race cars that were older than the 3-year limit that NASCAR had set. Another thing, AJ Foyt never ran NASCAR, USAC stock cars, Indy cars or F1 for a low budget team. He always had the latest equipment, so there is a high probability that we're looking at an ARCA race here. Older cars, lower budgets lesser known drivers etc. all were accepted in ARCA.

I could be way off base here since it is late at night and I'm just rationalizing this out-loud from the photos and from what I've learned. So I'm not saying I'm totally correct, just throwing out some ideas and theories for consideration.

Regards,

Jerry

x a lot : that makes things much clearrer !!
patrick
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed PATRICK! Embarassed Embarassed

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I always try to get people's name right. Especially those people with whom I've met or corresponded with! Embarassed Embarassed

My only excuse is that I am a few years older than the last time and as we all know, when you get old 2 things will always go bad. One is that your memory fades. The other thing is... Hmmm I can't seem to remember! Laughing

Forgive me buddy. If it will help you can call me "Bill" for a while!

Regards,
Jerry (or Bill) Smile
frenchpl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed PATRICK! Embarassed Embarassed

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I always try to get people's name right. Especially those people with whom I've met or corresponded with! Embarassed Embarassed

My only excuse is that I am a few years older than the last time and as we all know, when you get old 2 things will always go bad. One is that your memory fades. The other thing is... Hmmm I can't seem to remember! Laughing

Forgive me buddy. If it will help you can call me "Bill" for a while!

Regards,
Jerry (or Bill) Smile

No problem at all , Bill you are obviously Forgiven !
there are much more important things in this crazy wold , ok ?
take care
patrick
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: