Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMT/Ertle Cobra 289 kit question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: AMT/Ertle Cobra 289 kit question Reply with quote

A friend of mine has been after me for a long time to build them a model and with them not a Nascar fan and me wanting to do something out of my comfort zone, I decided to do the Cobra 289 kit. My questions are can anyone suggest a decent aftermarket wheel/tire combo to depict a fairly substantial road race setup. Also thinking about trying to shoehorn a Polar Lights Ford 427 into it if I don't have to whack up the chassis much.
It seems like a decent level 2 kit detail wise and thought I'd give it a try. If anybody has any experience with them, any tips or heads up would be appreciated.

Edited to add: I know that the 289 and 427 were different cars and that the wheels, engine, and other mods are incorrect but the only purpose of this build is to show an example of what limited modeling skills I might have:) The only thing I've decided on is Testors "Diamond Dust" Lacquer paint, two black stripes and some Wet Look clear. I'm somewhat excited about starting a build where everything to be done is not pre-determined from the start like building a vintage car specific to a race or even a season. That's about all I've done model-wise lately and this is kinda refreshing.

John
junkman9096

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for Historic Racing Miniatures Halibrand wheels
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119473-halibrand-wheel-project/
afx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built several of the AMT/Sunny kits in various incarnations. You can check out my Fotki albums for ideas if you like: https://public.fotki.com/steelers43/my-model-projects/

john843

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junkman and J.C., thanks for the info. Between the two links, I stayed up half the night drooling...

p.s. if anyone wants to see a compilation of the AMAZING scratchbuiling and detail that AFX has teased us with in various posts, I suggest checking out the link in his reply... just be prepared to be there awhile!

John
afx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like my projects John. If you have any questions during your Cobra build that I can help with just ask.

JC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: