Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Side hauler photo thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hanner
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Dark Side hauler photo thread Reply with quote

https://web.archive.org/web/20150606041749/http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=73877

Last edited by Bob Hanner on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Side hauler photo thread Reply with quote

Bob Hanner wrote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150606041749/http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=73877

Does this mean some of the history still can restored?
Bob Hanner
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some, Not all

Is available on the https://web.archive.org website.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Hanner wrote:
Some, Not all

Is available on the https://web.archive.org website.

Thanks for your efforts.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a few that I have on my hard drive that I had downloaded from the net at some point in time for reference. I don't remember where I originally found them and why most of them are so small...

LilRedDave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting one that slipped by. Apparently Rhine Enterprises in Denver, NC has had the old Petty Ford hauler for some time. Must have been sold to Hoss at one time. Plans seem to be to restore it back to Petty era. Check out their Facebook site, looks pretty solid.

Smyle photo of the original!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - What a find !!! Shocked Shocked I'd be willing to drive that hauler, and I'm a Chevy Guy !!! Razz
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always finding hauler pics while researching other projects. Here's a few of the ones I've stumbled across:

This Wendell Scott's truck. It's my understanding it will undergo a restoration.

Wood Bros. The caption said 1971, but from the body-style of the Merc, it's probably 1973/74.

Bill Stroppe 1964

Bill Stroppe 1963. Note the "Mercury" badging on the Ford C-Series truck in the upper photo.

Just to prove I'm not totally fixated on Fords.... well OK I am, but couldn't resist this awesome photo of Ray Fox, taken in 1968.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a few more hauler photos:

David Pearson's Holman-Moody Hauler from 1967
NOTE: In taking a closer look at the hood of the car in front of DP, it appears that the cubic inches on the hood are either "428" or "429" and definitely not "427" which would make this photo from either 1968 or 1969, possibly even 1970. In doing some digging around I found a couple more photos of this truck:

Here we see Pearson's mechanic off-loading a 429.

In these color photos we see that Pearson's hauler had a dual axle and is larger than the other rigid frame flat-bed trucks shown in this thread. Also we can get a good idea of the paint scheme.

Found this while cleaning up my files...

Don't know what race it's from, but it's most likely from 1969 (vs 1970).

Pearson's hauler with the #17 Fairlane (1967)

Here's another view of Wendell Scott's hauler when it had a little more paint on it.

Here it is once more with his '65 Galaxie on board

Wendell's pickup truck circa 1967

This one belonged to the Don White race team

The Norm Nelson hauler again

Another view of the Holman-Moody Hauler for Fred Lorenzen

James Hylton

Next we have some photos salvaged from the old thread:

This a Nichels Hauler

USAC driver Sal Tovella.
The 2 photos above were originally posted by Tom Mooty. He posted a handful of others but are not recoverable because of broken links.
There was also some discussion that the Tovella hauler was the old Norm Nelson vehicle.

Next, the outstanding model by Lanny Haas of the Wood Bros. hauler:

and one of the photos he used for inspiration:

That's it for now... enjoy.

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Some GREAT pics here!!

Curious....with the Stroppe team 4-car hauler....how would they load them if any of them were tore up in any incidents on the track?

I used to have the old AMT Car Hauler, but I was sticking the AMT Grant King sprints inside, as I didn't have enough stock cars of the same style (NASCAR or Late Models)

Seeing the hauler used by the Norm Nelson team reminded me of a two truck I saw in the late '70's early '80's that would come pick up franchise owned rental cars from the corporate owned yard where I worked, IIRC it was a Chevy truck and hat an overhead spot for a car, and of course the main bed, then it also had a tow hook up at the rear to be able to haul three cars back to their facility.
Same outfit also had a 6-7 car transporter rig. Had to hand it to the driver of that rig when he showed up with that rig. don't remember it it had a winch or not, but, if it did, it was usually not working, so I had the privilege of pushing a car with him behind the wheel of the one he was loading, getting up enough speed to get it up on either the end of the top rack or the bottom rack. He told me one time that I was the only one he would trust doing this.....He also complained to me that his bosses would not keep either rig operating properly.....and they were down more times than not.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
WOW!! Some GREAT pics here!!

Curious....with the Stroppe team 4-car hauler....how would they load them if any of them were tore up in any incidents on the track?

Hello Ed;

Thanks for the complement on the pics. Just stuff I've come across while researching other topics.

I do not have a definitive answer for you on the transporting of race wrecks for the Stroppe team or any of the others who were big enough to use multi-car trailers. However, if you look closely at the color photo of the Stroppe transporter, you'll notice the #16 car has a smashed front end, and the right front wheel is pointed off to the right instead of straight. From that I would surmise that the team would winch their wrecks back on to the trailer as long as they were mostly intact and could still roll reasonably well. If the car was really bent out of shape in a wreck or torn apart, I would imagine they would haul it back on a flatbed tilt-up trailer of sorts. I have no evidence (photo or otherwise) of this however, just trying to apply some logic. Perhaps another member with more knowledge and background could chime-in and help out??

Jerry
scatpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Back when racing was a little more affordable. A Cup carbon fiber hood now probably costs more than one of those haulers completely outfitted (maybe even with inflation adjusted).
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the old hauler pix
Bill
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I just recently found those new photos of David Pearson's blue/ white hauler, and finding 2 of them in color was extremely lucky.

Hope they help with modeling projects or simply furthering your knowledge.

Jerry
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDITED TO REMOVE UNINTENDED DUPLICATION]

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!!!
Hey Larry, look thru the emails I sent you. Included a few haulers you might want to add here
Bill
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Thanks Bob!!!
Hey Larry, look thru the emails I sent you. Included a few haulers you might want to add here
Bill

Sure thing Frank! Could only find one amongst all the Fords but here it is:

This is Buck Baker's hauler from sometime in the mid-60s. Unknown location. Courtesy of BVAUGHN. Thanks!

Jerry Laughing
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine tooling down an interstate and seeing a Cup car on an open hauler!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid 70s i worked for a company in Spartanburg that was located on I85. Luckily my office had a view of the interstate.Especially weeks they raced in Atlanta and Dega I could see the rigs rolling down the interstate. Hated when they all changed to closed in trailers.
Bill
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one I found in my files:
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better copy of the Cotton Owens hauler that I posted earlier:
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some randoms... I collected these from the net over the years, so don't really know the origins of most of the photos. My apologies if some of these have already been posted, I tried not to duplicate postings, but some may have slipped through. Also, some of these are more racecar than hauler, but I figured they're fair game if at least part of a hauler is in it... Very Happy

Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more...

Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I had more than I thought I did!

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark!
Clearly you rock in the hauler world!
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing these.
Lots of inspiration!

Jerry
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure!

Several years ago I used to scan the net looking for darkside reference material and ended up with approx 2000 images in my "old nascar" file. At some point I started to organize and had created a 'hauler' file, which are the photos that I posted a while back. I finally started going through the other images and found I had many more hauler photos than I had imagined!

I figure it's best to get them back 'out there' where they can be of use as reference material or simply just enjoyed, rather than have them hidden away on my hard drive.

I find it really interesting, going back through the pics, of the diversity of haulers over the years, between the high-dollar factory teams and the privateers, and just how much things have changed over the last half-century or so. It would be a rarity today to see a Cup car being hauled on an open trailer behind a straight truck or even a pickup, but back then it seems like it was 'the usual'. There were even some flat-towed with a towbar, if you can imagine.

We will probably never be able to rebuild this forum to the level it was before the implosion, but hopefully we can get some of the pics and info back out there again, and that's what I'm trying to do when I get the time. Unfortunately I don't have the level of knowledge about it that some of the guys had who used to post here (and some still do!) on a regular basis, though, so please feel free to add commentary to any of the pics I've posted!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one I found:
Budz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Pardue's Dodge Ramp truck, '64 season Reply with quote

Found in NY a few years ago...
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Race car hauler sticky Reply with quote

I worked for Tiger Tom Pistone for a short period of time( a very short period of time) in 1998 and in the time I was there he had a blue Dodge crew cab ramp truck identical to the ones used by Snake Mongoose and Sox and Martin that he claimed he got from the Petty's.I've never seen a picture of the Petty's using a truck like this. it was most definitely Petty blue, it was complete in pretty nice shape, they had a 440 in it and I believe it was a 67 or a 68 D series again identical to the two Snake and Mongoose haulers that were restored a few years ago did the Petty's ever use such a truck? Is it possible the truck that was sitting there at Tiger's place actually is one of the ones it was used by one of these drag racing teams?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: