Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revell Gran Torino corrections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Revell Gran Torino corrections Reply with quote

When unboxing a newer release of a kit based on a '60s-'70s subject I usually say to myself, "What's off with this body?"
I had used the Revell body for a Buddy Baker build a couple of years back and didn't bother much with fussing over it, but after finding others' observations in the meantime, I am going to try to do some simple fixes.
The Johan/MPC '72 body was well rendered so I am using that as a guide.

Here's a comparison of the wheelbase. The bodies match well in length end-to end, and the door panels line up pretty well.

The side windows looked too small, but the overall body heights match. Problem is the lower sill is too high. looking at a side view of a reference image of the actual car, it shows the side sill should align with the lower edge of the windshield at the hood. Placing the two bodies side by side, I rested an emery board across the Revell sills - and you can see some air under the MPC side:

Revell's windshield doesn't curve enough. Second shot shows the difference at the back of the hood.

I laid the Revell on top to compare by lining up the a-pillars. Revell is closer to the camera so it looks larger here.

The Revell body also needs to be rolled in more at the bottom. Here are the two lined up:

So far I have filed down the window sill (should be cutting into the top of the mirror mounting hole just a bit). I also scribed the lower body right at the crease, and bent it in a bit to match the '72. So far so good. Will tackle the windshield next.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree the Revell Torino has manty issues. The issues come from Revell thinking the 71 Torino shared parts with the 72-76 Torino. We know they shared none. That 76 Torino was one of the last projects of the old YS based Revell before the bankruptcy ......and I feel it was rushed. If it was no Torino kit or what we got I'll take what we got....but it could have been better.
My builds
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I will agree the Revell Torino has manty issues. The issues come from Revell thinking the 71 Torino shared parts with the 72-76 Torino. We know they shared none. That 76 Torino was one of the last projects of the old YS based Revell before the bankruptcy ......and I feel it was rushed. If it was no Torino kit or what we got I'll take what we got....but it could have been better.
My builds

Yeah and the box art - could have been better if that means anything... but as a Ford fan the kit was much welcome and enabled a lot of possibilities.

Oh and those '15's on the '72 were bonus extras from a kit sheet - saved me some decal money, Dave. You have anything to do with that?
Rattlecan Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. that is some excellent observations, and detail adjustments.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and those '15's on the '72 were bonus extras from a kit sheet - saved me some decal money, Dave. You have anything to do with that?

Yes.... I did the art for the number sheets in all Model King stock car kits. thx
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial reshaping of windshield. Cut a thin styrene sheet base, then filled in with two part Tamiya putty. Have to refine bevels and edges, but you can see how the hood does not seem too long anymore. Not concerned about the kit glass fit as I usually replace with clear sheet anyway. Getting there...

MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be great, Bill. Staying tuned to this wip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: