Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1961 Ned Jarrett Championship Car Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: 1961 Ned Jarrett Championship Car Question Reply with quote

In my quest to build the championship cars, I'm looking at the 1961 Championship car right now. Will the old Fred Cady decals work for this car? I see some lettering for the 61 car but it looks more like they are for the 62 car. Anybody have any insight?

bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of that sheet is inapplicable to Jarrett's '61 car. There was an old sheet that included the correct decals for the title winner but it's very hard to find and it had the number and sponsor-owner fonts used at the Daytona 500. That's where most of the photos you see of that car were taken.

But soon after it was changed to different fonts that look a bit more like those you have on your sheet. And it was with those changed fonts that Jarrett had much of the success that year that made him champion. You'll also see the bodywork on the car change, filling in above the angled line of the chrome trim.

Just Google Jarrett 1961 and you should see useful images. Getty have a picture of him from a dirt track event sponsored by Abernethy Chevrolet that's interesting. There's another one out there showing the car on a trailer that's also useful, as it has the Royal Beach Motel on the front fenders.
Taz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to touch base with our very own Moderator Tom M, he documented his 61 build. I still have the link to his progress shots,and used those and his advice to build mine some 20 years ago,even gave me a paint match(MCW)

the car numbers on that caddy sheet are the wrong font,

Ron
hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this car in my future plans. What color is it? It's difficult to tell the shade of blue in old photos.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevrolet's Jewel Blue.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1961 championship car had 360 horsepower on the hood. Those look applicable to the 1962 car. I was planning on doing the 61 car but since I did Jarret's 64 ford, I decided to use the 61 chevy kit I have for Emanuel Zervakis 61 Chevy. I've been putting it off because of the gold foil numbers on it. Might be one of those, bit off more than I can chew builds. Tom M. built an excellent 61 Ned Jarrett Chevy. Hopefully he will post it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: