Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave & Dave show off a couple of Impalas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Dave & Dave show off a couple of Impalas Reply with quote

[size=24]so, a while back I put in my signature that I had a Furniture Row Impala as a pending build. Bought an AMT Iron Man snapper on a whim and the #78 was always a cool car to me... well, I ended up getting a PM from HurricaneDave3, told me that he also had a pending build of an Impala, and that he wasn't very familiar with the kits or the look of the car in general. I messaged back and told him the same thing, and he suggested that we exchanged phone numbers to share tips, in-progress photos, and such. we did so, and were in constant contact during the builds. also shared some stuff on a personal level, and aside from occupation, we have a lot in common, interest-wise. if we lived closer (St. Louis area vs. Allentown area, roughly 865 miles driving, according to Travelmath) there would definitely be some hanging-out done...

I will show off mine first, because I have less pics of it and put less detail (and thus less effort Very Happy ) into mine. as mentioned before, AMT Impala snap kit. the front valance is a resin piece I got from Mike's, and the decals are Powerslide. the paint finish was achieved by spraying MCW gloss black on a chilly, rainy day... which was not the original intent. I was going to build a glossy, superspeedway version, but I got impatient, since it seemed like it rained for 40 days and 40 nights straight around here... if you work with lacquer paint, you know that it can be finicky based on the weather, mostly humidity. well, the finish came out with NO gloss to it and very hazy, so I rubbed it with Buff-Ez to remove the haze, and was going to gloss it later... but again, my patience was virtually non-existent at this point, so... since the finish looked like the normal flat black that the Furniture Row team used, I left it be and started decaling. only extra detail I did on this was some paint black on the chassis/interior, seatbelt stuff since it was already molded in on the seat, and a bit of wheel detail.

now, on to HurricaneDave3's build...

he did a lot of body work to the front end, and added a bit of detail to the interior. he used MPRMPRMPR decals for this and the same kit as me. he works with enamel paints, and I think that it looks pretty good... if you don't know Dave at all, he is a HUGE John Andretti fan.

well, folks, there ya have it... who says that long-distance relationships don't work? Laughing
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave for posting these for me. As Dave said, there were many texts back and forth some at 10 pm and some at 3am because of different work schedules. Dave is a heck of a great guy for those that never dealt with him, and many many "what if's and how about's" and learning together made it so much more fun to build. And yes, if we were closer we'd be drinking beer and smoking cigars by the pond catching bass and sunnies. Remember Dave" I'm the only white boy you know that intentionally owns a Hi Point" Laughing. I'd also like to thank Mark(MPRMPRMPR) for the awesome decals that I begged him to make me and he finally obliged me, another great guy that makes a great product and super fast shipping and great to deal with(I recommend his decals to anyone and everyone). I'd also like to thank board member Phantom for keeping me focused on this build and in modeling in general, another great guy to deal with. So, one kit down and a hundred to go Laughing. Any comments are welcome and thank you for looking.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking builds.
Bill
randy ayers
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool Cool Cool !!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

2 Great looking builds....!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both nicely done!!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them look great!
volsfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: dave Reply with quote

hey Dave's both look great, but Hurricane....... need to upgrade from a high-point
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I actually have 9 Smiths, 3 Rugers, and 1 Zastava. That Hi point .40 outgroups my Ruger SR9. I actually got it on sale $99 brand new, off course it does feel like a brick first time you hold it Laughing. I'm not a fan of overhyped Glocks either.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. The Dave and Dave duo will team up again someday and do another group build in the near future Very Happy
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. The Dave and Dave duo will team up again someday and do another group build in the near future Very Happy

Most likely a pair of Jack Daniel’s Chevys. Most appropriate for this duo.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: