Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyler Reddick's 'The Beast Unleashed' Toyota Camry TRD 2023

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albymoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Tyler Reddick's 'The Beast Unleashed' Toyota Camry TRD 2023 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just completed my Salvinos JR 1/24th scale NASCAR Toyota Camry TRD stock car, with decals for Tyler Reddick's 'The Beast Unleashed' Hard Monster 6.0% scheme that was run at select events this past NASCAR Cup Series season. This is my first completed NASCAR model since 2001, and the first Salvinos JR model kit I've built. I learned a lot of things that will be applied to the next Salvinos JR NASCAR kit I build. The paint is Tamiya TS-14 gloss black, which was decanted and airbrushed, wet-sanded smooth, and then clearcoated with Testors Lacquer Glosscote (after the decals were applied). For the graphics, I used a 3 Amigos Decal set, which comprised of two sheets- one that had the neon green graphics which needed to be applied over white underlays, and the second sheet had the main graphics, including the impressive eye graphic for the hood.  Decals from a Powerslide Modern Stock Cars Goodies set were used for items like the windshield film tear-off tabs, inspection sticker, weight adjustment jack location markers, and the NACA ducts for the quarter windows. I also used a 3 Amigos Gen 7 Tire & Wheels decal set for the tires (which includes tire codes, stickers, set numbers, etc).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Albert
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking build!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on your first one of these. You will find that your next one will go much smoother even though you can't tell from this one that you had any trouble at all. I remember some parts on the rear suspension could be installed upside down which through everything off. The instructions aren't really clear on a lot of the assemblies, so you have to double check, so you don't end up having to redo an assembly. It looks like 3 amigos makes a fine decal sheet and you did a great job installing them.
albymoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Great looking build!

Thank you!
albymoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Excellent job on your first one of these. You will find that your next one will go much smoother even though you can't tell from this one that you had any trouble at all. I remember some parts on the rear suspension could be installed upside down which through everything off. The instructions aren't really clear on a lot of the assemblies, so you have to double check, so you don't end up having to redo an assembly. It looks like 3 amigos makes a fine decal sheet and you did a great job installing them.

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated. Overall this didn't go as bad as I had read in forums and the various Facebook NASCAR modeling groups , and what I couldn't figure out on my own, thankfully there was a video on YouTube to help with. The most aggravating part of this model to me, was the horrid fitment of the windows. I'm going to have to figure that one out as I don't like that they don't sit flush in their openings. It isn't as apparent on this model as everything is black, but the windows all sit proud in their openings and it just annoys me to no end.

As for the decals, the 3 Amigos Decals were excellent to use.

Cheers,
Albert
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!!
Rattlecan Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Really good-looking build.
elcejay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alby,

That was a very brave build after 20+ years in the wilderness. It seems like a difficult kit to take on, with aftermarket decals to-boot. Thanks for sharing the pitfalls, and I hope that you see that you nailed it.

I like that you chose a Mr Reddick car as your 'renewal' build. I don't think he knows that he is the best of the new breed IMHO. Hopefully it stays that way! Thinking you are the best is likely to send you in the opposite direction.

Anyhoo - enough waffling from me. I really enjoyed looking at your photos and I hope that you build some more of these 'fringe' Nextgen kits and post them for us to admire.

Cheers.
albymoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos on my Reddick 'Yota. It was nice to see that the painting and decaling skills for doing NASCAR race cars hadn't diminished much in the last 22 years. I build mainly military aircraft and weather-beaten vehicles these days, so I thought it was going to be a rough go at first, but settled back in without too much difficulty. That said, these Salvinos JR Next Gen kits are definitely no shake-and-bake kit and I probably should have went with a familiar Revllogram kit from the late 1990s to jump back in the game with, lol.

Cheers,
Albert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: