Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lumina 94 bumper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vdc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Lumina 94 bumper. Reply with quote

Hi all.
Am modding this bumper for a smoother look, reducing that top lip.

But at the lower edge, it is lower than the bodyshell.

This is normal for the 1.1 car? Should it it be reduced? Perhaps use the moulded air dam as cutting line.
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. i have the same question. All the 94 luminas with smooth bumper on my builds, that lower part is sitting on the ground and i didn't even lower the chassis. the 90-92 kits the lower part of the valence is essentially in line with lower body line. I have a feeling Monogram Revell f'd up that bumper mold and made it too tall. I put two pictures here with both a real 90 era and 93/94 era luminas the 94 just looks smoothed out and not any taller.

I hope you post more details about how you are able to get rid of the lip as i currently have a 94 kit trying to figure out how to do that. was recently at the Hendrick Musuem and they have several luminas on display. thats when i notice how there is no lip and have been trying to figure out how to make that go away.

]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p4rgvX]
Vdc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Am thinking to putty and sand the Lumina wording, sand down the air dam lip smooth and then remove 3 to 5mm of bumper.

A harder fix is to have the bumper sitting horizontal to ground. On mine it is pointing upwards slightly,so needs pulled back somehow.

And your Dupont car, the 94? No Lumina logo below grille.

Perhaps Monogram bumper is deeper just to locate that logo?
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe pictures are not my models. they are of the real luminas on the Hendrick Museum / Gift Shop
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it is easier to TRIM OFF material ... than to have to ADD IT ON Very Happy
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shaping on bumper sides, making the front more narrow.

Sanding horizontal and vertical. Vertical with a taper, keep the bottom edge flared out.
And that top lip above grille, am sanding also a taper. Attempt to make that front end more aero.

Putty on the sides, yet to dry. See if I can later shape this correctly.

When I have a razor saw I'll trim about 5mm from bottom.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what you're doing with this. Not going to lie, probably going to rip off your idea on my next Lumina build. Thank you for posting this.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah do it!

I also recently learnt that these kits are based on the prototype NASCAR Lumina. After the kits release the car was reshaped.

And this pic of Earnhardts car, the superspeedway version?

The steep angle of the hood, that low bumper height. But see how much it juts outwards of the headlights.

Vdc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawed off 4mm from the bumper and an immediate improvement!
Got rid of that cowcatcher front end.

Car looks much sleeker, though will need some card to round off wheel arch at rear of bumper.

With these mods it may also need a slabside, unsure as yet. This'll be in my dehydrator now, shrink the putty down faster.

Moderators. If you think this post should now be in Fab Shop, I agree!

Last edited by Vdc on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking real good!
Thanks for posting the pics.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastoftheV8 wrote:
Thanks for posting this. i have the same question. All the 94 luminas with smooth bumper on my builds, that lower part is sitting on the ground and i didn't even lower the chassis. the 90-92 kits the lower part of the valence is essentially in line with lower body line. I have a feeling Monogram Revell f'd up that bumper mold and made it too tall. I put two pictures here with both a real 90 era and 93/94 era luminas the 94 just looks smoothed out and not any taller.

I hope you post more details about how you are able to get rid of the lip as i currently have a 94 kit trying to figure out how to do that. was recently at the Hendrick Musuem and they have several luminas on display. thats when i notice how there is no lip and have been trying to figure out how to make that go away.

]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p4rgvX]

My friend Steve Mirabelli built that silver Lumina at Hendrick's around 2008, they had to chase all over the country to find former ARCA teams who had bought all those surplus Lumina body panels then didn't use them all up but never tossed them. There are a lot of things about that car that aren't really period correct, since they weren't trying to replicate any specific car they slicked it up and used some modern pieces to finish the chassis and interior. He wanted to take it to the wind tunnel to see how the numbers compared to the actual raced Luminas back then but of course they never did. Too expensive!

The Fords had a very good year in '92, the Luminas got a new and only barely stock-appearing front fascia for '93 to help them remain competitive then they got slightly slicker for '94. Not quite as slick and smooth as that silver museum car but you can see from the period photo below that they were obviously based off the same GM molded fascia, the Gordon car in the museum is a little better. You need to research the as-raced photos to see how they were, though. Museum cars are hardly ever particularly correct.

'94
[/img]
Vdc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great photo. Plainly see how narrow in width the top lip is.

Corners are well inboard of the headlight outer edges.
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: monogram pieces Reply with quote

Here is comparison straight from Monogram kits of 90-92 Lumina front end vs 93-94 Lumina. You can see that the 93-94 is substantiall taller than the 90-92 which confirms my theory.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the after-market resin 93-94 front bumpers any more accurate than the kit one?
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionpride,

No they are not accurate. They are molded after the yellow Labonte kit bumpers. I have ordered a set and compared on my workbench, and you can clearly see how they just used the updated kit bumpers to make a mold and then made resin "updated" bumpers. Nice quality, don't get me wrong. The usual quality we know from Mikes, but they are the same.
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pics to compare these bumper heights.

This #17, looks close to the kits design.

And in this photo of Earnhardts,how much forward that top lip pushes outwards. Looks like you could sit on it! And overall is a much sleeker shape.

Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try and CAD one up and 3D print it.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the Lumina bumper fixes myself and thought I'd throw these pics up. It's all kit bumpers, a strip of styrene, and a lot of Mr White Putty. The rear quarter add-on to the bottom is a little bigger than I wanted but I don't feel like messing with it anymore. I got the rear bumper looking more like the 93 and 94 style. Still have some finish sanding and small patches to repair but I'm fairly happy with it. I don't mind doing the conversions but I wish the putty dried faster. It's taken me over a week just letting everything dry, sand it out, and adding more putty.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you're doing with this.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Vdc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.👍

From the side, does your bumper point upwards? Something to check over.
Mine does, the Kelloggs kit. And it really makes for a clunky looking build.

I'll glue a strut inside somehow to level it, don't want to slice into the wheel arches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: