Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AJ Foyt #14 Copenhagen Olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: AJ Foyt #14 Copenhagen Olds Reply with quote

finished this one up today. Revellogram kit, Powerslide decals (Mike just got in a fresh shipment of reprints of this sheet if anyone wants some), 3D printed wheels from Jim Rogers. homespun exhaust from tube. paint is tamiya black and the red was achieved with red oxide primer and a coupla coats of bright orange. interior is testors flat red.

wasn't really happy with the stance of the rear... seems kinda hot-roddish to me, didn't sit as low as i would have liked it to.

thanks for the look, comments and criticisms are appreciated as always
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build!!!! Really digging the black pipes. Those wheels are a nice add as well.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
Nice build!!!! Really digging the black pipes. Those wheels are a nice add as well.

Thanks.

The headers and exhaust are Testors Metalizer gunmetal.
Rattlecan Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Really good-looking car. A.J. was tough as nails wasn't he? Nice tribute car.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, bro!!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good to me. Great job.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattlecan Dan wrote:
Nice job. Really good-looking car. A.J. was tough as nails wasn't he? Nice tribute car.

Yeah he was a tough S.O.B.

I love that generation of drivers- Foyt, Andretti and big Al Unser continued to drive dirt champ cars well into their established Indycar careers, establishing the mold for more recent drivers like Larson and Stewart. Foyt and the others didn’t do things like drive at Knoxville for a big payday, they ran dirt miles because they still enjoyed it. Not that Larson needs the money.

Side note, the chief mechanic (Robert Galas) for the dirt champ car team that Foyt drove for later in his career, Delrose-Holt, lives a town over from me. He inherited/bought the team when the original owners got out and his shop is in the same town. He doesn’t currently run a champ car though.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!!
J.R. Rodriquez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job...one of my favorite tobacco cars.
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: lowering the rear Reply with quote

I drilled out the holes in the chassis where the long post side of the spring goes. Basically allows the spring to push through to the point the truck arms rest on the chassis. Thats how I got the rear end to sit lower and more in line wih the front wheels.

1fozziebear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an outstanding idea!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: lowering the rear Reply with quote

LastoftheV8 wrote:
I drilled out the holes in the chassis where the long post side of the spring goes. Basically allows the spring to push through to the point the truck arms rest on the chassis. Thats how I got the rear end to sit lower and more in line wih the front wheels.

If there was a "like" icon to touch, I would. This is a great idea!

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking model. Always liked Harry Gant but it is refreshing to see to another Oldsmobile other that a Skoal Bandit built. The black and orange look great.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Rattlecan Dan wrote:

I love that generation of drivers- Foyt, Andretti and big Al Unser continued to drive dirt champ cars well into their established Indycar careers, establishing the mold for more recent drivers like Larson and Stewart. Foyt and the others didn’t do things like drive at Knoxville for a big payday, they ran dirt miles because they still enjoyed it. Not that Larson needs the money.

Side note, the chief mechanic (Robert Galas) for the dirt champ car team that Foyt drove for later in his career, Delrose-Holt, lives a town over from me. He inherited/bought the team when the original owners got out and his shop is in the same town. He doesn’t currently run a champ car though.

True they did continue to race the Big Dirt cars, but not just for the love of it. Up until the early/mid 70's the Dirt Champ cars paid Championship points.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
18degrees wrote:
Rattlecan Dan wrote:

True they did continue to race the Big Dirt cars, but not just for the love of it. Up until the early/mid 70's the Dirt Champ cars paid Championship points.

Well aware of that… Foyt was still running them in the early 1980s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: