Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AJ Foyt Copenhagen Oldmobiles - Orange Paint recommendatiaon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: AJ Foyt Copenhagen Oldmobiles - Orange Paint recommendatiaon Reply with quote

I finally got a set to do the 87 and 88 Copenhangen cars. Any done these that can recommend a bottle or spray can for the orange?
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Tamiya bright orange over red oxide primer for mine. Posted in the Fab Shop if you want to take a peek and see what you think.
SkoalPerce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pain, but if you want a rattle can, head to your local automitive paint supplier and ask them to mix you up a can of Calypso Coral. It is a Ford colour, which was originally Poppy Red from the 60's. It was on A.J.'s rides ever since he ran for Hoss in the mid '70s. Plus it will the interior of Ironhead's Goodwrench rides.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkoalPerce wrote:
Sounds like a pain, but if you want a rattle can, head to your local automitive paint supplier and ask them to mix you up a can of Calypso Coral. It is a Ford colour, which was originally Poppy Red from the 60's. It was on A.J.'s rides ever since he ran for Hoss in the mid '70s. Plus it will the interior of Ironhead's Goodwrench rides.

Priming then painting sounds like a pain?

Makes me wonder what type of process you use to paint your models.
SkoalPerce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the pain for me is getting free time to get down to my friendly neighbourhood paint supplier....but the quality of Axalta (DuPont) in a rattle can is worth it.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkoalPerce wrote:
No, the pain for me is getting free time to get down to my friendly neighbourhood paint supplier....but the quality of Axalta (DuPont) in a rattle can is worth it.

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying that my method of using red oxide primer and then orange paint sounded like a pain… when all along you meant what you would do is a pain. My bad. Embarassed
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I mixed two parts Testors Orange and one part Testors Red,,, Nothing spe cial like Model Master or upscale lablels. like just the little bottles you can get at Michaels or Walmart. Practiceed on White plastic spoons that I primed white first. And about 3 light not heavy coats with my airbrush, I got it dam close to the decal. Since I only build for my own shelf and enjoyment, I am pretty happy.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Ford Poppy Red. Will match the decal perfectly.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants a poppy red in an easy pickup, Krylon makes an enamel that you can get at WalMart.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
If anyone wants a poppy red in an easy pickup, Krylon makes an enamel that you can get at WalMart.

Krylon's is too pink. It's not intended as a match to the automotive color, it just happened to be named the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: