Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McGriff #21 Olympia Beer '66 Chevelle Late Model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e30m3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: McGriff #21 Olympia Beer '66 Chevelle Late Model Reply with quote

Hi All -- I found a couple of photos online for a blue/gold #21 Olympia Beer car of Hershel McGriff. To me it looks like a '66 Chevelle Late Model.

Wondering if anyone may know more about this car and possibly have more photos?
Particularly any views showing the roof and hood. Trying to work out the gold "feather" graphics that look like flow down from the roof, over the C-pillar, and onto the top of the rear quarters.

Also wondering if there's any special graphics on the hood.

Any help would be appreciated!

MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one good looking Chevelle. And Hershell is one of the icons of the sport. I heard he drove his entry for the first Southern 500 in 1950 all the way from California. He started 44th in a 63-car field and finished ninth in a 50 Oldsmobile.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see Hershel McGriff in a car NOT numbered 4 or 04 during that time frame. Fellow West Coast racer Ray Elder also enjoyed Olympia Beer sponsorship for many years.
e30m3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: McGriff #21 Olympia Beer '66 Chevelle Late Model Reply with quote

Hi Both. Thanks for your comments. I was hoping the photo might generate more interest. I moved to the Charlotte NC area a couple years ago and have been getting back interested in Nascar; mostly historical stuff. Growing up in the Midwest in the 70's I didn't really get a sense for the West Coast racing scene, particularly for Stock Cars. So I'm learning more about McGriff. Honestly, didn't know he was the winner of the first Carrera Panamericana race until I saw it in his bio for the Nascar HoF induction.

I would agree that #21 would seem out of place for a McGriff car. I'd be happy to be corrected if this is in fact another driver. Regardless, it's still a great looking vintage racer and would be a beautiful build up if I can get around to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: