Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASCAR brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_al40

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: NASCAR brakes Reply with quote

In doing research for a couple of upcoming older NASCAR builds (primarily Dodge Chargers 1970 - 1980), I'm trying to find 'definitive' info on brake systems.
What year were disc brakes first used instead of drum type? I've checked the NASCAR Rule Books and still can't find a firm answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Al
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda depends on the car you are modeling. Lower end teams used drums LONG after NASCAR ok'd the disk. I know Frank Warren ran drum up until he ran the Magnum's. Petty jumped on the disk ASAP as $$$ no object.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe Roger Penske's AMC Matadors had disc brakes as used on his Trans Am cars.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
Believe Roger Penske's AMC Matadors had disc brakes as used on his Trans Am cars.

Correct......Penske got AMC to assign AMC part numbers to some Porsche brakes he was using.
RTDaddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard first used the disc brake set-up from Hurst Airhart I think for summer Riverside race on the Dodge.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Pg. 37 of the UMI Publications 1973 NASCAR Yearbook, there is a picture of the K & K pit crew changing the left rear tire on Dave Marcis' Dodge @ Rockingham, and a brake drum is plainly visible. I'm guessing the teams kept using drum brakes on the Superspeedways longer than on the short tracks and at Riverside. Mark Donahue credited disc brakes for his win in The 1973 Winston Western 500 at Riverside Raceway.
In the early 1970's Hurst / Airheart made a disc brake package that quite a few teams tried, though I understand they had a tendency to leak out the fluid.
If you cruise to the Darkside Modelers Forum page, you will see pictures of Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo under construction, with drum brakes ( but no disc brakes ) visible in several shots. In the UMI 1975 NASCAR Yearbook, for the Winston Western 500 it states : " The only car allowed to use disc brakes, the Matador was expected to be a strong challenger for the victory... ". Perhaps this ties in with comments above re: Roger Penske " legalizing " disc brakes for AMC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: