Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drive Shaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
country modeler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Drive Shaft Reply with quote

I am looking to scratch build a drive shaft, what size aluminum tubing would I use for 1/25 scale?
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the standard NASCAR drive shaft is 3.5" OD
Divide that by 24 gives you 0.14583 inches.
1/32 of an inch = 0.03125
4/32 or 1/8 inch = .125
5/32 gives you 0.15625 which is closer to 0.14583 than .125

So 5/32 it is.
5/32 also = 4mm

Don
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 5/32" K&S. I cut the u-joints off a styrene kit shaft ,leaving about a 1/4" of the shaft on each one and whittle the excess down to fit into the ends of the alum. tube. affixing with super glue.
Tried 3/16th but was a little too big for 1/25th. might work for 1/24th though.

John
country modeler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

country modeler, on a side note, depending on what era you're doing, 1/16th K&S tube makes a great replacement track bar and front sway bar on the Monogram kits. I use the same basic procedure, cutting the Heim joints away leaving a small stub to insert and cut the tube to correct length for the rear track bar and re-install. On the front sway bar, cut the whole thing off then drill a 1/16th hole where the bar extends through the frame rails on each side and slide the alum. tube in place of it.
It makes a bigger difference on the rear as the plastic track bar can get torqued or bent ever so slightly when glued and will not look realistic. The K&S is dead-on straight and looks more substantial .
I also remove the little molded-in fuel overflow on the Monogram rear panel, drill a 1/16th hole and replace it with 1/16th tube about 2 1/2" to 3" scale inches long. I use a #11 scalpel blade to clean and thin out the end of the tube that shows, being careful not to flair it any.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: