Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mario Rossi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Mario Rossi Reply with quote

Interesting :

http://racersreunion.ning.com/forum/topics/mario-rossi

Support your local race track.

Jimmy Spencer never forgets. Never.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. That fits with what I had known, that no trace of him has ever been found. Even the family doesn't have any information.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought he went down in the ocean, but it has been confirmed that the plane was resold several times after he went missing.

Does make one wonder.

Support your local race track.

Jimmy Spencer never forgets. Never.
spooker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting reading, for sure!

Brian
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a TV show - Cold Case or something...
bvaughn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASCAR's Jimmy Hoffa Mystery is where is Mario Rossi
Bill
tharrison351

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have any news about Mario Rossi. I've been reading some articles about him on the web and he was a fascinating man. It's also interesting how many writers have incorrectly reported his Daytona running a small 305 Hemi. I knew he had a 305 in it from the pictures of the car, but I also knew there was no way it was a small Hemi. The only small Hemi I rememember Chrysler making were the old Dodge Red Rams or Desoto Fire Domes of the 50's and not NASCAR legal. The valves from a 426 wouldn't fit in the bore of a 305 and if they had a raw casting and went with a small valve set up, there would be other problems. I finally found a couple of pictures showing them installing a LA wedge smallblock under the hood. This explains "the lunchbox" nickname becuse it looks tiny in that cavernous compartment.
mopardealer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did build a small hemi big block in 1971. It was built by Keith Black working with Chrysler and Petty Enterprises. It was what Bobby Allison was running at Riverside when he won in the 1971 Dodge Charger. The engine was very good. NASCAR put the kabash on it by restricting the motor the next race. They used a 361 big block and adapted the hemi heads on to it. There was an article on it in Stock Car magazine 1971.

Long live MoPar muscle cars 1962-1974.
Troublemaker427

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bangshift.com/blog/The-Defiant-Ones-Part-2-Mario-Rossi-at-Daytona.html
AA/NSS
9:22@143
1964 Galaxie 500XL
390 p-code 4spd.
1966 F-100
390-C6
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any proof to the fact that the chassis that Atwell owns is this car? I remember a pic of it in Hot Rod or somewhere.
mike clements

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine, at that time, would have pretty much been a Trans Am engine wouldn't it ? That is what Sam Posey ran was a destroked 340 in a 70 Challenger. idunno
I have tons of NASCAR history and photos that I have collected since my father took our family with him to all of the races when he and Rex White were a team. My dad was Louie Clements, the car owner and crew chief for Rex.
Wingman22

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
That was a T/A motor according to George Wallce. It was built by Keith Black just for that race.
As for the authenticity of Atwells car he has photos from my dads mechanics that show welds and other parts that are visible on the car. Also Larry Rathegab has seen the car when it was at Daytona and says it is the same car.
Ragtop Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a story... someone getting a butt out message from "who?"

I hope his son gets at least some sort of closure.

BOB
“You're missin' the point. The success of the band was irrelevant - you raised their expectations of life, you lifted their horizons. Sure we could have been famous and made albums and stuff, but that would have been predictable.

"This way it's poetry.”

Joey, from “The Commitments”, 1991
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Tried to contact Atwell for a trade yet Wingman?
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here another good SI article that really points out the good that Mario pioneered for the sport.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/the_bonus/09/11/nascar/index.html
I do find it intresting that in the Racers Reunion thread the person that was told to keep mum did not have a single post after. Strange!
Wingman22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Trade Reply with quote

I have been in contact with Steve for years. I have tried to everything to get my fathers car. Steve really likes the car and I am not sure if he willever part with it. He has been very helpful over the years and he may help me with my Hylton car.
I think if I had a big named driver car other than James he may trade with me. But I have searched for years and not found the right one yet.
It is kind of like the doc who has my fathers original race jacket and will not let it go. It is only a jacket but he says it is not for sale. So I guess I will have to find something to trade him.
Just a waiting game.
Bill
Gettingold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingman, what you need to try and do is hopefully locate an early '64 - '65 Mopar Hemi drag car to trade Steve. From my experience with him. He's always been more interested in the early factory Mopar drag cars, then NASCAR. Lord knows he has more than enough money to have it restored if he really appreciated it.
Wingman22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that might be the way to go. I have never looked for any drag cars. I have found several old race cars. I will have to make that a new priority for 2011.
You never knkow what might be out there.
Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you find old race cars take lots of pictures for us here!!! We are all old race car junkies here!!!
Gettingold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingman, this question has probably been asked before, and I missed the answer in another posting. But did Bobby Allison have more than one NASCAR Daytona, or just the one?
Wingman22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Bobby's Daytona Reply with quote

As far as I know there were two Daytona's. I have spoke to my fathers mechanics about this. Niel Castles bought one and it became a Marty Robbins car. The other was the 305 car that Atwell has. These other cars out there I have no idea what they are. They may have been a charger 500. My fathers shop was pretty small. Could only hold two or three cars and work on them. He also did not have a ton of money to get cars and keep them up.
Bill
Fallscity48

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobby's Daytona Reply with quote

Wingman22 wrote:
As far as I know there were two Daytona's. I have spoke to my fathers mechanics about this. Niel Castles bought one and it became a Marty Robbins car. Bill

Bill, Do you know if it was a Daytona when Neil Castles bought it & if it
was a Daytona when Marty ran it??
I been trying to find out for years where the Daytona that Marty ran the
one time came from.
Alway had the greatess admiration for your Dad!!
It's an honor to have you as a member of our forum!! Thanks !!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous discussion on Marty's Daytona:

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=56665&highlight=marty
Fallscity48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
Previous discussion on Marty's Daytona:

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=56665&highlight=marty

Very familar with that previous discussion (as one can tell) .....
Just curious how the car evolution planned out as 23T Hemmee (Ronnie)
posted....
Mario to Castles to Bobby (as a Daytona or Charger) or
Mario to Bobby to Castles (or Hylton) or idunno or :crazy:
Hoping Bill can shed so light.
Thanks !!
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it might have gone to Soapy after Marty drove it. Soap crashed his car in that race so maybe he needed a replacement?

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fallscity48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marty Robbins Daytona car was Marty's only run in a Daytona ('70 National 500). From 23T Hemmee (Ronnie) post in the above mentioned
Robbins thread, Marty got the Daytona from Bobby Allison (who was driving for Mario at the time & finished 2nd in the race IIRC).
I don't think Bobby had a Daytona at the time (so it may have been a Mario car ...... so as Bill pointed out this very well must have been the
2nd Rossi Daytona) that went to Castles idunno

Or Bill may be saying that the car later became the '71 Charger that Bobby (via Castles idunno ) had & let Marty drive from time to time..... I'm not sure.
I sure when Bobby started driving for himself in the 1st part of '71 (before HM) he may have bought a car(s) from Mario and/or Castles.

The Robbins Daytona history has always been kinda murkey. Very Happy

Last edited by Fallscity48 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty and Bobby always seemed to be friends so I could see Bobby brokering a deal for Marty to buy one of Mario's Daytonas. I wonder if Bobby bought one of the Rossi short track cars at the end of '70 and reskinned it as his '71 Charger?

wingcar builder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not forget the rest of the 71' season for one Daytona was converted to a 70' charger. and judging by the wing window brace being rivoted to the roof as well as the rear side window trim. this was a common thing Mario did on his cars.

Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Rossi re-body the Daytona for the remainder of the races Brooks ran in '71, or were they just using up what was left of the '70 cars before Rossi got out of it??? According the stats Brooks ran fairly well and fairly consistant for Rossi, seemingly staying out of trouble.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't even a re-body, it was just the last remaining Daytona re-converted back into a tunnelback car.

Aero426

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
It wasn't even a re-body, it was just the last remaining Daytona re-converted back into a tunnelback car.

That's right, it would have been a very simple conversion.

Change the front clip, remove the rear window plug (original Charger glass opening was still underneath there), fill the wing mounting holes, change decklid and hinges.
Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, looking at Brook's run for Rossi he could have easily used one car for the remainder of '71. I wonder if it is the '71 car that is restored or one of the earlier cars???
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Marty and Bobby always seemed to be friends so I could see Bobby brokering a deal for Marty to buy one of Mario's Daytonas. I wonder if Bobby bought one of the Rossi short track cars at the end of '70 and reskinned it as his '71 Charger?

Actually, Bobby was already running his own '70 Charger as an independent on the shortracks when he went for the championship in 1970. His deal with Mario Rossi only covered the superspeedways. (Maybe Bill Rossi can confirm?) The 1970 Charger he ran at Riverside & Daytona in '71 might well have been the same one he'd run on his own from the previous season.

He did not have his own car ready until a couple of months into the 1970 season, and had to miss the Richmond race and had to rent Don Robertson's 2nd car for a couple of the shortrack races before he had one of his own ready. I asked him about it at Barrett-Jackson in 2006, and he said that he had to pay Jabe Thomas / Don Robertson more to rent their 2nd car than he would have won by winning those races! If he hadn't missed the 1st Richmond race in 1970, he might have won the championship that year.
Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so was the BA owned team and Rossi team two separate entities or was it just simply BA owning a car or two of the Rossi cars???
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that they were separate entities - The car owner for the shortrack races was listed as BA, not Rossi.

How BA came to own the cars, I'm not sure- it's possible he bought them from Rossi, but he might have bought fresh rollers from Nichels. Maybe Bill Rossi or Liz Allison can answer that.

He did run shortrack races for Rossi in 1969 and won 4 shortrack races that year. Even in 1969, Rossi ran only some of the shortrack races, so BA didn't have a chance at the championship. That's probably what prompted him to attempt all of the shortrack races in 1970 on his own.
JMack12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this image of the "small-block" Daytona on one of my Florida Stock Car history sites. At least, according to the "CID" on the hood, it's the 305.
Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nose cone sure looks ill-fitting on Jimmy's picture from Daytona
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I zoomed in on this pic last nite and you can clearly see the screw holes on the windshield pillar where the stainless deflectors were. so this was one of the Daytonas bodied to a 70' so it would be interesting to know if the Car Atwell has was absolutely positively without a doubt the 305 car.

Aero426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
The nose cone sure looks ill-fitting on Jimmy's picture from Daytona

Not at all. The hood has been extended slightly right to the edge of the nose with a small turn down lip so air can't get underneath. It fits tight to the nose. The fender "gaps" are painted on to simulate the factory rubber strip.

Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Doug, the poor fit I seen was the black and slight difference in tone on the b & w image between the nose and body
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about this pic of the 70' charger with the deflectors still on it. the door looks like it says Dick Brooks. anybody know where this was taken at?

Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Daytona 31 5 3 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 50/50 550 running 1
4 Daytona 40 8 7 22 Golden Products (Mario Rossi) Dodge 198/200 3,125 running 5
5 Ontario 51 21 5 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 198/200 5,025 running 0
7 Rockingham 40 13 5 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 488/492 1,875 running 0
8 Hickory 22 6 14 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 211/276 265 rear end 0
9 Bristol 30 7 3 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 489/500 2,245 running 2
10 Atlanta 40 31 14 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 310/328 1,400 running 0
11 Columbia 26 2 3 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 200/200 800 running 2
12 Greenville 26 9 3 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 198/200 830 running 0
13 Maryville 30 4 5 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 196/200 325 running 0
14 North Wilkesboro 30 5 3 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 396/400 1,745 running 6
15 Martinsville 30 11 23 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 133/500 450 engine 0
16 Darlington 36 11 2 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 286/293 8,165 running 0
21 Charlotte 40 7 10 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 390/400 2,400 running 0
23 Michigan 40 10 8 22 Mario Rossi Dodge 193/197 1,220 running 0

I would say one of the short tracks, maybe Maryville or Martinsville???
wingcar builder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is another interesting photo. someone needs to find out if one Daytona chassis was sold to Bobby. this photo shows the deflector plates still on the windshield pillars of this car (#12) and if you look to the right you will see the rear quarter of the 305 car sitting there.

Aero426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingcar builder wrote:
Forgot about this pic of the 70' charger with the deflectors still on it. the door looks like it says Dick Brooks. anybody know where this was taken at?

Taken at Ontario early in the season.
Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think those two are the same car??? The 12 and 22 look different to me, the 12 has a blank for the door handle, the 22 doesn't, the ride height seems different, the 12 has a window net, the 22 doesn't and the chin spoilers look different. The 12 sure does look like an ex Rossi Daytona however
fordfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero426 wrote:
wingcar builder wrote:

Taken at Ontario early in the season.
that looks like Martinsville to me
Aero426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct - the curbing.
satellite1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not car focused, but interesting Mario Rossi AD from Raceday Magazine 1972 Carolina 500

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Janie in downtown Chester, SC one afternoon. Billy and Tina were with her. She knew the stats on Marios cars as well as any book knew them. She treated us kids very nice, all the time.
I have tons of NASCAR history and photos that I have collected since my father took our family with him to all of the races when he and Rex White were a team. My dad was Louie Clements, the car owner and crew chief for Rex.
33fan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be a concerted effort by the members of this forum to track down and restore all the aero cars from '69/'70. Maybe we could open a museum with "real" cars to help finance the deal. At any rate, it would be a blast to build 1:1 models. Very Happy

^ Entering the tri-oval at the start of the '70 Daytona 500. (GN70 Mod for N2003)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: