Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coke machine paint question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Coke machine paint question Reply with quote

For those of you that have built a Coke car, red first, then gold?, or other way around? Any close match in Tamiya or should I just order from Scale finishes?

Thx! Tom
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've always had trouble with my masking pulling off or dulling the gold, altho it has been some time since I've done a car with gold. With newer masking materials and modern paint, maybe not so much of a concern anymore.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom! I always paint my BA builds with the red first (Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red over Tamiya Fine White Primer.) After the red dries, I mask over the red and I paint the gold (Tamiya TS-21 over the same Tamiya Fine White Primer.) After the gold dries and while it is still masked, I airbrush two or three coats of clearcoat over the gold using Tamiya X-22 Gloss Clear, or Mr. Color GX 112 UV. After everything has dried, I decal and finish the body. I quit clear coating over my decals years ago after ruining a few expensive decals. Hope this helps! Happy modeling!
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the info I needed guys. Thanks Spooker and BW! I have some builds over 30 years old and they still look great with no clear coat. Also appreciate the paint numbers.

BW, my mom's side of the family is from Arley, Alabama. Doesn't look to be too far from you. I have great memories of summer vacations to see my grandma down there. I remember building Bobby Issacc's Daytona Charger on her front porch.

Tom
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to be clear, after red, you mask then shoot white primer, then gold, then clear? No clear on the red? I assume you're airbrushing clear to get a good color separation.

Tom
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what BW meant with his clear, but I ALWAYS shoot a coat of clear over the masking edges to seal it. Let it barley dry, shoot the second color and then de-mask as soon as possible. Really sharpens the color separation lines. Gold is a fairly fragile color, so clear over gold is not a bad idea, in general.
BW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
That's the info I needed guys. Thanks Spooker and BW! I have some builds over 30 years old and they still look great with no clear coat. Also appreciate the paint numbers.

BW, my mom's side of the family is from Arley, Alabama. Doesn't look to be too far from you. I have great memories of summer vacations to see my grandma down there. I remember building Bobby Issacc's Daytona Charger on her front porch.

Tom

I prime the entire body with the Tamiya Fine White Primer. Then, shoot the red. After the red has completely dried, usually 2-3 days or more, I mask off the red and shoot the gold. Then clearcoat just the gold before unmasking the red. Hope, that makes better sense. I agree with spooker, I believe you must clearcoat the gold. Without the clearcoat, gold seems dull and you certainly can't mask over it. Clearcoating with a good quality gloss clear will make the gold look much better and be more durable.

I know Arley. Typical small Alabama town. I was a high school teacher and coach at a small rural Alabama high school for 30+ years, so I reckon I've been to or passed through just about every small rural community in north central Alabama. Sad that many of these communities are dying off. A lot of young people today don't want to stay out in the country. Including some of my own family. Really can't blame them though. Not much to do.

Glad I could help with the paint colors.
-Bobby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: