Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Future Question Reply with quote

Has anyone else had this problem? After one coat of Future it seems as though it has "cracked" all over the model. Have had this problem on some others.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep..........
It can be a combo of issues.
If you used water based acrylic paints there can be a reaction between the two.
Also no matter what paint you use if it is not allowed to 'gas out' for a week or two or ran through a dehydrator the process will crack the Future.
Either way you mat be able to use hot soapy water to remove....or try antway.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Tamiya paints and it dried for a few weeks prior to decaling and applying the Future.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one on me!
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Window cleaner with ammonia to remove Future. I had this exact thing happen with a layered Fred Cady hood decal the night before a contest. Removed the Future, put Solvaset on the decal and it healed all the cracks! This was in 1988 or 1989 and I still have that model in my showcase, no evidence of the cracks. Car took Best in Show at a local chapter IPMS show against all the military and plane models.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new bottle of Future a couple of years ago and it has cracked every time I’ve used it over Tamiya acrylics. I’ve tried both airbrushing and brush painting it and the results look like yours every time.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:
I bought a new bottle of Future a couple of years ago and it has cracked every time I’ve used it over Tamiya acrylics. I’ve tried both airbrushing and brush painting it and the results look like yours every time.

Same here....I stopped using all acrylics for body painting.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to see that happen to you.

I'm not sure why that crazy/lazy fad has gained so much traction. I blame the so called " master modelers " on Youtube.

Don't get me wrong there are some really great modelers on there, but there are a couple that are slamming models together, and posting them with Hardware store paint and that crappy Future and videoing them from an angle that makes them look better than they are.

I'm probably just jealous of all the free kits they get sent to them! Laughing Laughing

I watch them mostly to see what's in the box, but you can count on a marginal build result at best, and don't really add much in the way to improve building skills.

sorry for the rant, but some of those guys have actually set the hobby back IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: