Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saying good bye to a (Our) Home Town Track.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Saying good bye to a (Our) Home Town Track. Reply with quote

Even if its not your track,it's worth a watch,
68 Action packed years at the Western Speedway in Victoria, BC comes to an end with the Final Lap
Video by Light Em Up TV
This video showcases the last few amazing weekends of the track. Compiled videos of more than 12 different race classes. Thank you to the entire Western Speedway Staff.
The Final Lap - Western Speedway Compilation of the final few races

I was proud to be an official out there for the last 15 years.
when this video was shown at the Banquet last Saturday it brought some to tears.

The Anthem singer would do Both Anthems proud when she had to sing them.
dirtman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool video!

Rett
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened here, too. Five Mile Point Speedway in Kirkwood, NY (Binghamton) just ran their last race after 72 years of CONTINUOUS operation.
The next-to-last weekend they featured the vintage cars, I was all geared up to go, coming off a win in the previous vintage race, came down with Covid that Tuesday, didn't get to go. Sucked big-time. Spent a LOT of weekends there in the early to mid 1970's. Nobody builds a new track anymore, tough losing these old historic tracks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixty - Eight Years -- WOW Shocked ... Do you wonder where it all went, Bill ??? I had the particular pain to know I was attending the last NASCAR Winston Cup race at my beloved Riverside International Raceway, June 12th, 1988. It's like losing a parent -- or a life - long best friend. I also attended the last Winston West race at Mesa Marin Speedway, Bakersfield, CA. Yea, there's a new track out on the West Side of town in Buttonwillow. I've never been there, just like I've never attended a race at Riverside's " replacement " - Sears Point Raceway in the Bay Area. The inevitable comparisons would be too painful. I avoided " Last Races " at Orange County International Raceway ( drag strip ), Portland, and Spanaway for the same reason. Though no one knew it at the time, the last race at Saugus Speedway in SoCal was the first ( and ONLY ) Craftsman Truck Series race there in 1995; it was also Ken Schrader's only truck series win. The track announced its' closing the next Wednesday.

Last edited by George Andrews on Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still fortunate to still have the Sportsdrome Speedway across the river in southern Indiana operating. Place has been going since 1947. If you do Facebook here are a bunch of pictures and stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1845052432261499
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: