Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please - which kit is best for a 1991 T-Bird build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVENN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Advice please - which kit is best for a 1991 T-Bird build Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to build the 1991 Davey Allison T-Bird (Powerslide decals)

I have a Monogram Ricky Rudd Thunderbird kit and the copyright on the box says 1994.

Were there any changes between the 91 and 94 T-bird?

Should I use a different kit so it's more accurate...or is the Rudd kit good to use?

Any advice is always appreciated

Tony
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is the one without the triangular grill in the center, I believe there were two Rudd Tide Thunderbirds close together. The Allison kit was semi updated from the old twin shock Banjo chassis. If you want to go the extra mile, use one of the later T-bird chassis and running gear under the older body. it would be more accurate. I am a GM guy, so if I advised something wrong, please correct me.
TVENN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
As long as it is the one without the triangular grill in the center, I believe there were two Rudd Tide Thunderbirds close together. The Allison kit was semi updated from the old twin shock Banjo chassis. If you want to go the extra mile, use one of the later T-bird chassis and running gear under the older body. it would be more accurate. I am a GM guy, so if I advised something wrong, please correct me.

So…if I’m reading this correctly…

Try and find a 97 T-bird kit (before the new Taurus) and use THAT chassis and then this Rudd body on top? That would ideal, because I hate the chrome parts and raised-letter tires that came in the Rudd kit.

Thanks!
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
... because I hate the chrome parts and raised-letter tires that came in the Rudd kit.

Thanks!

A quick solution for stripping chrome on other kits is putting them in a small tub of Super Clean. As for tires, I usually cut the ring out of them and flip them around so I can put decals on the smooth side.

Last edited by Razorback 46 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, the Thunderbirds before the Taurus have the single shock set up, better gauges, better engine, seat etc., Plus it has the rear end pump.
From the older T-bird, I would use the rear package shelf and the front filler piece that goes between the bottom of the radiator and the nose of the car.
Also check reference photos, most of them have the indention running down the sides filled in and the many had the bottom crease above the rocker panels rounded off.
I can't remember, but I think I had to trim the front edge of the dash some.
You will do well, it's not a hard swap.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question is that there is a difference between the 1994 bird and what was run in 1991. The “mail slot” grille opening was a feature on 94 but not 91 as was the shape of the top left and right grilles. Google images for both years and you will see the difference.

However, with that being said, i am not sure if the nose on the Rudd ‘Bird was actually updated on the kit mold or was just decals.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 2 Rudd Thunderbird kits. I have both infront of me. The one with the date 1994 is the proper body that you want. The other one is dated 1996 but it is a 1995 body.
TVENN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
There were 2 Rudd Thunderbird kits. I have both infront of me. The one with the date 1994 is the proper body that you want. The other one is dated 1996 but it is a 1995 body.

THANK YOU for the side-by-side comparison! That is greatly appreciated.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: