Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brad Sweet #49 NAPA sprint car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Brad Sweet #49 NAPA sprint car Reply with quote

i kinda went nutso with this build this week, did a lot of painting and decaling. decided to do as much detail work with PE parts that i could handle... you'll see below. chassis/cage is semi-gloss black and the body panels and such are Tamiya TS-19. the decal sheet called for "pearl blue" which i just recently found out that Tamiya makes, but i just went with the metallic blue. i tried to use a chassis/cage and body panels from SWS Chassis, his chassis are so nice, but turns out there was too much work for me to do things like figure out how to attach the engine, just to start. so the chassis/cage, body panels and wings are in a box... not a big fan of the apparent work needed on his vaccuformed parts either. guess i'm getting kinda lazy as i age.

chassis/cage

body panels and a 3D printed quick-change rear end from Dwight on Shapeways

wheels, tires, mud covers and a beadlock. wheels and tires from The Parts Box, they make the only accurate sprint car front tire i have seen yet... the kit front tires are sooooooo bad and outdated. mud covers and beadlock are 3D printed and from Dwight on Shapeways

pile of aforementioned parts from Dirt Modeler and RB Motion, plus scribbled notes on what size tube or rod that fit with certain parts

Frankenseat. made from the bottom half of a Saldana kit sprint car seat and the top half from a Jimmie Johnson Revellogram Monte Carlo kit. the whole seat from the JJ kit was overall too big, so i improvised...

wing supports in process

tail tank with the start of fuel lines, fittings from RB Motion

Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good so far and those fittings from RB motion are better than anything I have ever seen before. Definitely adding them to the shopping list!
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
Looks really good so far and those fittings from RB motion are better than anything I have ever seen before. Definitely adding them to the shopping list!

RB Motion has soooooo much neat stuff. I will be using quite a few of his rod ends for this project, along with the anodized fittings.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some more work done, mostly with small parts. lots of drilling with my pin vise (only stuck myself in the finger once so far, so there's that for a small personal victory Laughing ). had to order some more fittings and such from RB Motion today, so this will slow down a bit here until that stuff comes in. i have numerous reference photos of sprint car motors, lots of fittings and hoses to be used. just hope the motor fits in the chassis when i get done

frankenseat painted and decaled, just need to cut the mounting down so it fits when the body panels are on

painted injectors and a 3D printed steering wheel from Dwight on Shapeways

finished wing

the decals aren't sized too well, there isn't supposed to be any overlap between the contingencies and the sponsor... oh well. fiddled with it and there wasn't a solution that i could figure out

mag, ignition box and oil filter, all pre-decals. the mag is from MAD Modeling, the ignition box is from the same 3D printed raft from Dwight - it's supposed to be extras for a late model; the oil filter is chopped down from the kit.

oil tank, water pump, and radiator

engine block with a few coolant fittings

more to come, someday... hopefully soon. gonna start working on the suspension and steering i suppose.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is a pic of me and the subject matter (kinda) from I-55 Raceway last year. i bought a shirt of his earlier in the night and didn't think it would be appropriate to take a pic with him, with a Tyler Courtney shirt on... so i held my #49 shirt up Laughing

and just FYI, Brad Sweet is the short(er) redhead... he's probably all of 5'6". but traditionally sprint car drivers aren't big dudes.

18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large shipment of fittings arrived from RB Motion today, so i will get back in full swing after i finish the #15 Exxon car i am working on.

Stay tuned… thanks
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got back at it, the engine is done. small hornet's nest of fittings and hoses for ignition, oil, water and fuel. the 2 black lines coming towards the front are to attach to the radiator and the center yellow ignition line goes to the MSD box that will be mounted to the firewall. had to make a new oil filter (out of rod and tube) along with a base/mounting fitting out of strip.

in a previous post i said "just hope it fits in the chassis"... well it doesn't. one of the fittings that comes out of the oil filter base hits a chassis bar. i am experimenting with an extra chassis by updating it to a more modern version (which i should have done to begin with) and seeing if the engine mounts ok.

the ignition box is from Dwight on Shapeways, only thing i added to it besides a Slixx decal was a tiny section of 1/16 brass tube painted black to represent the boot for the wire from the magneto.

the lines aren't 100% proper in relation to a real sprint car motor but i did what i could with what i had to work with. used a lot of reference pics from the internet.

anyhew, on with the show!

fittings are RB Motion, magneto is MAD Modeling, decals are Slixx, and hoses/lines are Detail Master.
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build. That engine looks super sharp!
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettin’ back at this one, watch for more pics coming…
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Your detailing is great, the fittings, hoses, the "frankenseat" are all great.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the motor installed

and the last of the parts that i have to work on aside from the body panels... went with the kit rear end/driveshaft piece and some suspension parts from
Dirtmodeler (torsion bars) and the Parts Box (steering gear)

18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the rear suspension in place, just need to cut down the axle for the proper rear track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: