Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#15 RC Cola Ford Torino

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: #15 RC Cola Ford Torino Reply with quote

First, it's nice to see the site back up and running again. I missed it. For months I've had the Model King re-issue of the '72 Ford Torino in my stash pile, and now with some down time on my hands, I've decided to build the #15 RC Cola Torino. Trouble is, I can't find any reference as to the color of the interior, or the color of the blue stripe down the middle of the car. The outside body stripe looks like a Petty blue. Is there a link somewhere I can go to for reference? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Barry Kennedy
Ont. Canada
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics here:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nascar%2072%20RC%20torino&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=nascar%2072%20rc%20torino&sc=0-19&sk=&cvid=F74E5B4834FE49EFB7773B0655ED8B49&ajf=70
M Agee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Grabber Blue is the correct shade, if memory serves correctly.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might go with a Tamiya TS-23 light blue.
The last image shows what the correct suspension setup would look like. (That's a whole other issue we could discuss...)
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: #15 RC Cola Ford Torino Reply with quote

Thank you , wow!! Those shots are fantastic. The interior looks like an off white, or a Ford Gull Grey color. Now I can get started. Thank you.
Barry Kennedy
Ont. Canada
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, thanks for sharing with us. Do I see long truck arms in the pic of the rear suspension? Pretty sure the kit has rear leaf suspension, unless they corrected the repop of the kit. Are you going to do the RC Cola, or, Sta Power version? Either way, I'd try matching the decal sheet blue with your choice of paint. for the blue panel on the car. Pretty sure they ran both short, and long rear truck arms on this car, but not rear leaf springs. One of my all time favorite kits, correct, or not.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: #15 RC Cola Ford Torino Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
... The interior looks like an off white, or a Ford Gull Grey color. ...

The interior and bars is a "spatter" gray. There are a few methods to get the effect. I recently did it with a base coat of gray primer, then a very very very light dusting of white primer.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
Great pics, thanks for sharing with us. Do I see long truck arms in the pic of the rear suspension? ...

The restored car has long arms, but not sure if those perforated arms are the original style. If I were doing this kit close to box stock I might just clip off the leaf springs and fab a pair of simple trailing arms, and scrounge a pair of coil springs (or fab a simple set with sprue and wrapped wire). For a shelf model, I personally would not want the leaf springs and shackles to be visible.
Barry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: #15 RC Cola Ford Torino Reply with quote

The 'spatter effect' is a good idea, and will work. Dupli-Color at one time used to produce Ford Dove Grey in those big rattle spray cans, but it has been off the shelf for years. Years ago when I built a Ford Torino Stock car, the MPC version was long out of production, and expensive. So, I used the Johan version. Good detail (for it's time), easy to find, and still fairly inexpensive. Now it's the other way around. The fact that Salvino JR Models is stepping up to the plate and producing some GM 'missing link' stock cars is good news. Hopefully, they will get around to doing some early/mid '70's Fords, and early'70's Dodge Chargers, and Plymouths.
Barry Kennedy
Ont. Canada
C5HM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No leaf springs on Ford intermediates after 1972 (on 1972 and newer cars). Bud's first 72 Torino was Banjo's first customer car. It had short trailing arms.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my doubts whether those rear trailing arms with lotsa holes in the sides would pass NASCAR inspection ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: