Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piedmont Car Kit Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
757flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Piedmont Car Kit Search Reply with quote

Hello,

Longtime lurker, first post. I built a number of cars waaaaaay back in my college days in the mid-90s, but have been out of NASCAR modeling for a while.

I am looking to get back in by building a collection of the cars that ran in Piedmont Airlines colors using the kit or aftermarket decals that are available:

Ricky Rudd - #3 1983 Monte Carlo, Grand Prix (Slixx, PowerSlide)
Terry LaBonte - #44 1985 Monte Carlo (Revell/Monogram)
Sterling Marlin - #44 1988 Olds 88 (PowerSlide)

My question is what Monogram/Revell kit releases would be appropriate for each car? The ones I have found are the following:

1983 Monte Carlo - Yarborough Hardees #28 (Legends Series 85-3153)
1983 Grand Prix - Petty #43 STP (2722), Is the Legends Series kit (85-3151) also an '83 Grand Prix?
1985 Monte Carlo - LaBonte #44 Piedmont (2299 or Legends 85-3152) - I read somewhere the '83-'85 Monte Carlos are the same (at least the Monogram kit plastic is) - Is that true?
1988 Olds - Yarborough Hardees #29 (2754)

I've seen Salvinos kits for a number of these years/makes - are these kits re-releases of the Monogram/Revell plastic with new decals? Are there any other added items included (masks, resin, etc)?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Mike
hurricane21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 83 Grand Prix would work for the Piedmont Airlines Grand Prix. Salvino's bought the tooling and re-released it. They've got multiple driver kits for the Grand Prix, all that would work for the Piedmont car. The Piedmont Monte is the notchback version. Salvino's redid that kit and the areocoupe Monte. The notchback is the flat rear window and the areocoupe is the bubble rear window. I think 86 was the first year for the areocoupe, though someone may have run it in late 85. With the Olds kits you'll have to search Ebay or elsewhere for the old Monogram stuff.

The 1983 Monte is a little trickier. Many teams ran both the 81-82 flatnose style and the notchback early on because of problems with Chevy getting the nose piece out to all the teams in a timely manner.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Spotlight Hobbies, they have the Oldsmobile pretty cheap and they have the original Piedmont Airlines Monte Carlo.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a pic or TV footage of a 1983 Flat Nose Monte Carlo in Piedmont Airlines colors, though there was a 1981 Olds Cutlass -- car # 18 -- in different Piedmont colors & lettering.
Ricky Rudd & Richard Childress ran the Piedmont Pontiac Grand Prix in 1982, then switched to the Monte Carlo SS in 1983. Terry Labonte & Billy Hagan would pickup the Piedmont Sponsorship for 1984 - '85, all with the MCSS Notchback. They would switch to the Olds Delta 88 for 1986 with the same basic graphics.
Remember to remove the lower front air dam if modeling a MCSS from mid - 1983 through through the end of 1985.
757flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the replies and information. I had never heard of the 1981 #18 Randy Ogden Piedmont car. I Thought it all started with Childress/Rudd in 1982...

Speaking of the #18 car, the following EBay listing shows it as a Buick. Didn't the Buicks of that time have a full-width middle grill section on the nose (i.e. no vertical break between left and right sides in the center)? What would be the right kit to model this car?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224464230741

For the Hagan/Labonte #44 Olds in 1986, would the 86-87 Olds donor kit for sale at Mike's Decals be the right one?

https://www.mikesdecals.com/1986-oldsmobile-monogram-p-243.html

It shows the Labonte Piedmont car in the pictures of appropriate subjects for the kit..

I haven't found a 1982 Grand Prix kit anywhere for that first Childress/Rudd car. Would the 1983 Petty kit from Salvinos be accurate for a 1982 car?

Thanks,
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds kit would be your best starting point. Someone did a thread on using the Thunderbird headlights to backdate the Olds. It is an easy modification.
The Gran Prix would be the correct car as is.
The #18 car appears to be an Olds Cutlass,
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75flyer
A Philly fan by chance?
BrianP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An accurate 1986 Olds needs quite a bit of front end modification from the Hardee’s/Wynn’s kits, but it can be done. I remember seeing someone had build a -very- nice Labonte Olds and detailed all they had did to correct the nose for 1986, but I can’t locate it now. I’ve been searching for the article for tips as I’m planning a 1986 Phil Parsons Olds
757flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to follow up on the Olds kits....

To accurately do the '86 Olds, I would need the Wynns or Hardees kit plus the recessed headlights from the '83 T-Bird kit (Melling, Wrangler or Coors releases)?

To represent the '87 Olds, it would again be the Wynns or Hardees kit, but using the faired-over headlights from the kit?

For the '88 Olds, would it be the Dinner Bell kit? That seems to be the only one I can find that has the correct-looking nose?

Thanks!
757flyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the Monogram Kodak Olds Combo kit (Wilson/Irvin) provide both of the Olds kits I might need? '86-87 (Wilson car) and '88 (Irvin)

Thanks
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757flyer wrote:
Would the Monogram Kodak Olds Combo kit (Wilson/Irvin) provide both of the Olds kits I might need? '86-87 (Wilson car) and '88 (Irvin)

Thanks

Yes
757flyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:

Yes

Many thanks!
757flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have managed to round up most of the kits I needed, but now have a new question...

Is there a kit of the Olds Omega that would have been run in the Busch Series in 1986? Terry Labonte ran one in alternate Piedmont colors (44) in that race, finishing second to DW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvcJKgH9rzg

I have only been able to find one black and white photo of the car, and it doesn't show much:

http://www.terrylabontearchive.com/terry-labonte-busch-career.php

Thanks,
Mike
757flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming it was a late-70s body style on those cars? Any resin bodies for the early-mid 80s Busch cars?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time there were several Busch resin bodies out there that you could use an AMT Nascar as a donor. Kenny at Bandit Resins does a Nova. Hopefully others will respond with some leads as I like building these also. Once you got into the later 80's, they were using Gran Prize, Monte Carlo SS and others the same as the Cup guys, but with V-6 power plants.
Schumacher330

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
At one time there were several Busch resin bodies out there that you could use an AMT Nascar as a donor. Kenny at Bandit Resins does a Nova. Hopefully others will respond with some leads as I like building these also. Once you got into the later 80's, they were using Gran Prize, Monte Carlo SS and others the same as the Cup guys, but with V-6 power plants.

Round 2 had the Squad Rod 79 Nova out recently as well. That may be a start for a Busch car body.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: