Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The least expensive way to dissolve super glue off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: The least expensive way to dissolve super glue off? Reply with quote

What's the least expensive way to dissolve the super glue off a built kit. I want to rebuild a kit that was put together with super glue and hoping I can soak it in something that will dissolve the glue and not damage the plastic.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know of debonder. But had success of freshly CA'd parts.

I have frozen models for a few days before and separated parts by sure he-man strength but don't recommend that as a course of action. success rate is 50/50. Less on small parts.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
I only know of debonder. But had success of freshly CA'd parts.

I have frozen models for a few days before and separated parts by sure he-man strength but don't recommend that as a course of action. success rate is 50/50. Less on small parts.

I'm going to have to get some debonder and test but first I might put it in a bath of Superclean. I remember putting a built engine in Superclean once because I didn't like the colors and everything came apart except the two halves that were melted together with Tamiya extra thin.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Nail Polish remover...
jchrisf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
Try Nail Polish remover...

Thanks
jchrisf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an experiment where I glued the engine of my 1990 Lumina with Zap a Gap medium.. let it sit for 24 hours and then soaked it in Superclean for 24 and the engine came apart easily except the engine halfs, the pan and one of the heads. I'm going to soak them for another 24 and see if they come apart.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The super glue is a no go. I never got those engine halves apart or the pan off. I even tried super glue debonder but it couldn't loosen them.

However, I tried the experiment with epoxy and it allowed every piece to come apart easily in the 24 hours soak of Superclean.

Think I will be using epoxy on much of my builds now just in case I want to tear them apart and redo them in the future. But I'll definitely be using it for every piece when I am doing an initial mock up of a new kit I am not familiar with. I've tried tacky glue in the past but it is not strong enough and takes to long to setup.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left these pieces to sit for several months in the SuperClean and just opened it back up. Everything was completely apart so this will work. Unfortunately I don't know how long it exactly took for them to come apart but you could rebuild an old kit this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: