Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gearing up for a big week of racing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Gearing up for a big week of racing Reply with quote

So as a preface, wanted to say that i had 3 straight weekends of dirt racing to attend back in April, and ALL of them got rained out-
World of Outlaws sprint cars at I-55
World of Outlaws sprint cars at Tri-City
Lucas Oil Late Models at Tri-City

Needless to say, i have been itching for some racing, and i took this week off work back in December in anticipation…

The promoters are calling it NASCAR Week on Dirt, all at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, IL-
Castrol FloRacing late models on Wednesday
USAC midget on Thursday
World of Outlaws late models on Friday

And of course NASCAR Cup series at World Wide Technology Raceway (still Gateway to me 😉) on Sunday.

Pretty sure the promoters are banking on Kyle Larson, Christopher Bell, Chase Briscoe, etc coming out and playing in the dirt. Which they probably will. Tickets are pricier than normal for special events there, and they are even charging for parking at least one night- which they have never done before that i have seen, and i have been going there since 1993.

So please, keep your fingers crossed that the weather holds out for me!

Will report back with pictures early next week. Thought about trying to bring a Cardinals hat and giving it to Larson and asking him to wear it when he gets out of his car in victory lane Sunday. 👍🏻
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R A I N. the four letter word to the race fan
TonyK

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good schedule of racing for you and I hope you get to see it all.

And yes, it's still Gateway to me too.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mother Nature is the winner for Wednesday.

The upside is that the weather looks great for Thursday and Friday, and Kyle Larson is being advertised as driving a midget Thursday and a late model Friday. They are even advertising that his souvenir/apparel trailer will be at the track, so I get to buy a Larson late model shirt, hell maybe even a sprint car shirt.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: some pics from Thursday night Reply with quote

Kyle and Kurt Busch were there working with Kyle's son Brexton on his winged kart

Larson's midget owned by Chad Boat

he finished second to Buddy Kofoid, who swept the night... he won by almost 6 seconds, that looked to be a full straightaway at the end. Kofoid established his own zip code...

Larson in his Rumley owned late model, just hanging out after qualifying

he looked to dominate the program but ended up hitting the turn 1 wall a handful of laps in, the way it looked something in the car may have broke for him.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: End of weekend update Reply with quote

So Friday at the dirt track was interesting. Chase Briscoe ran a late model and a sprint car, and wasn’t worth much in either one. He didn’t make the late model feature and had to run to consolation race in the sprinter to make the feature, and wasn’t anything to write home about.

Alex Bowman ran a sprint car, set fast time, and i think ran in the top 10 in the feature. He would have been a backmarker in a World of Outlaws feature, this was MOWA sanctioned.

Larson was decent in his late model, but nothing spectacular. He didn’t wreck that night.

I didn’t take any pics that night, except for Larson riding around on a bicycle… that was cool. No 4 wheeler, side by side, or minibike for him. Will post the pic here when i get the chance.

Sunday… NASCAR… was a pretty cool race, mostly because it was in my backyard. They had traffic flow down to a science. The biggest thing i took away from it was seeing a Menards car in person and realizing just how wrong the color i used for my builds (MCW) is totally off. The real car is so bright and, umm… neon-ish. I can see how it is difficult to properly create neon chartreuse in a rattle can or airbrush bottle. The MCW color is so much more bright yellow than neon. But hey, i only have 4 builds done with it, maybe when i get around to the few others i have pending i will try and find something closer.

Alright, y’all… cheers.
TonyK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience. Always enjoy reading the "race fan" view on what they see.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as promised, Larson on a ten-speed Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: