Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1977 OLDS INTERIOR PICS - Cale/Junior Johnson car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: 1977 OLDS INTERIOR PICS - Cale/Junior Johnson car Reply with quote

I grabbed these - along with the chassis pics I posted - from when RK Motors was showing the car off for sale a few years back. I posted the link to the Youtube video in this forum as well.

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!

COPY/ PASTE!
COPY/ PASTE!
COPY/ PASTE! Laughing

Wow dude! A perfect set of pics for a super-detailed uber-model!
Up until today this was the closest thing to an interior shot I've had:

You just got the NASCAR Greyside fan of the Month award!

Thank you.

Jerry

PS: (We need to upload a "thumbs-up" emoticon!)
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, Junior's '77 car wouldn't have had a red interior.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:

Flat black then? Matte black?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Tom M. wrote:

Flat black then? Matte black?

Going from memory and looking at photos, yes. Semi-gloss on most things, bare aluminum for crush panels and the abbreviated door panels that most cars of that era used to come down about 6"-8" over the door bars on the inside.

It was late last night, I should have mentioned that Junior didn't use the Olds until '78. The '78-'80 cars were among the first JJ&A cars to have a colorful interior.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:

Tom! Good to hear from you. Glad to see you finding time to post here on the board., I know you've had a busy schedule at work spending many "grueling" hours at the gravel pit Laughing

Your comment above prompted me to chime in with a clarification. Not to take you to task, but to clear up any misconceptions that a newbie might draw.

In 1977 Junior Johnson was fielding Lagunas, not 442s. Those had black/ grey interiors.

The photos and comments in this thread apply only to the Olds 442 which Johnson adopted in 1978. When this car is referred to as a "1977 Olds" it is not referring to when Johnson fielded the car, but to the body-style in which the car was skinned. So even if the Olds was run in 1980, it's still a '77 Olds.

The vast majority of the '77 Olds bodied cars that Johnson fielded had red interiors from 1978 onward. I did find a photo of one in a museum with a grey interior, but it is suspect as to its accuracy since it is most likely a tribute car.

Another photo of an actual race car was found:

Taken in 1979 or '80. But these appear to be the exceptions rather than the rule.

Johnson also fielded '77 bodied Monte Carlos simultaneously with the Oldsmobiles the majority of those had grey/ black interiors.

So yes, Johnson's '77 cars (fielded in 1977) were not red inside, but they also were not Oldsmobiles.

Anyway just my two-pennies worth. I stand ready for my public flogging! Laughing Laughing

Regards,
Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: