Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoration of Bobby Allison's 1968 HM/Bondy Long Torino

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Restoration of Bobby Allison's 1968 HM/Bondy Long Torino Reply with quote

Here's a link to a thread at the Ford FE site focusing on the recently completed restoration of HM8-033S. Lots of detail photos. Hope it is of interest here.

https://www.fordfe.com/restoration-of-bobby-allison-s-1968-holman-moody-g-t165977.html?fbclid=IwAR3N62jl8jqBgy8vjf3bBqq5FB3xbGGtdY4znPNDMy6K2aarGeOSJqmmSd4
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr Craft!
Thanks for the post. Saw the car in the FB post Doug Schellinger did on The Amelia car show in Florida last weekend. A bunch of AWESOME authentic racers
Bill
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking car. I have future plans to be a model of this car. Thanks for the reference pics.
wildbill72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

WILD Bill Motorsports, LLC
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a brief bit of video of the car running at 8:17 at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBmpr7R9as

And in these two clips:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/npTA4lG6oWM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rsSQcVqoPyY
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another amazing restoration! What is crazy is that Holman-Moody letter wherein they sold the new car to Bowani for just $1.00, offered to return the sales tax to them (on a buck), and would buy it back 12 months later for the original $1. I cant imagine a deal like that today!
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Another amazing restoration! What is crazy is that Holman-Moody letter wherein they sold the new car to Bowani for just $1.00, offered to return the sales tax to them (on a buck), and would buy it back 12 months later for the original $1. I cant imagine a deal like that today!

Dollar contracts were the norm for all H&M cars that were not raced "in house" during the factory period. Unlike the Mopar teams, Fomoco teams did NOT own their cars. They "leased" them for one dollar and had to turn them in at the end of each season. Petty, for example, got the three Torinos he did in 69 under the same type of dollar contracts. And he had to turn them in when he went back to Plymouth in 70 (Whereas, when he left for Ford at the end of 68, he kept his Road Runners and sold them to Jabe Thomas).
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Racer14 wrote:

Dollar contracts were the norm for all H&M cars that were not raced "in house" during the factory period. Unlike the Mopar teams, Fomoco teams did NOT own their cars. They "leased" them for one dollar and had to turn them in at the end of each season. Petty, for example, got the three Torinos he did in 69 under the same type of dollar contracts. And he had to turn them in when he went back to Plymouth in 70 (Whereas, when he left for Ford at the end of 68, he kept his Road Runners and sold them to Jabe Thomas).

So, I am assuming that for the agreement to be structured as a lease, legally, an amount of money needs to be exchanged. Is that it?
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
C5HM wrote:
Racer14 wrote:

So, I am assuming that for the agreement to be structured as a lease, legally, an amount of money needs to be exchanged. Is that it?

The operative word is sale...not lease. HM sold the car to the team for one dollar; the team sold the car back to HM for one dollar at season's end. I am sure that was some sort of liability dodge...in the case a car careened into the bleachers and killed a Brownie Scout troop or some such.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
There is a brief bit of video of the car running at 8:17 at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBmpr7R9as

And in these two clips:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/npTA4lG6oWM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rsSQcVqoPyY

Sounds like both mufflers are shot.

What caliber did you use? Smile
odcics2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -

What are your engine specs?

thanks.
C5HM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="odcics2"]John -

What are your engine specs?

thanks.[/quote

I built the 427 Tunnel Port in the car to 1968 specs and did not use any modern upgrades (like roller rockers or a roller cam, or modern light weight rods). It features dual four barrel, 660 cfm carbs (as were run/legal in 1968) 12:1 CR; LeMans rods, stock forged 427 crank and basically a stock Tunnel Port valve train and induction system (shaft mounted Fomoco rockers, a flat tappet "road race" type cam similar in profile to what HM listed in its catalog in the late 60s and a single plane 8V high rise Grand National intake). I did upgrade the ignition a bit. I installed a hidden MSD box that signals a Petronix converted 427 dual point distributor. No real HP gain there. But MUCH better starting and running behavior than if I had found/run the unobtanium original Fomoco stuff.

On the dyno the engine produced 525 HP using the "modern" dyno correction factor employed at present. A slightly different correction factor was used in the late 60s (I confirmed this with Wadell Wilson during speedweeks, BTW) and using that metric the engine would have been rated at 540 or so HP. The use of a period spec oval track/super speedway type cam would have produced 30-40 more top end HP. Current plans for the car call for mostly show duty, so I went with the slightly milder road course type cam, with an eye towards easy starting and better low rpm running. Since I am not Waddell Wilson or Robert Yates, I am pretty happy with the result. If I had their skills, I am quite sure I would/could have gotten more HP out of the engine.

BTW For comparison purposes, the very similar "detuned" 8V 427 TP engines used in GT-40 MkIVs to win LeMans in 1967 made around 485 HP with a similar cam and a lower profile, dual plane dual carb intake. The NASCAR spec Boss 429 engines that replaced the 427 TP engines under Fomoco hoods in 1969 made between 600 and 650 NASCAR legal HP back in the day depending upon cam and header tuning.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read in the H-M book that Ford was more concerned about reliability than outright horsepower in their LeMans program. The results speak for themselves. ..checkers
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thanks to Dr. Craft for the time and knowledge he so willingly shares with this forum. Since he first responded to my inquiry about 1967 Fairlanes, I have acquired several of his books, some Holman-Moody books and have really became interested in this era of racing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: