Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct wheels for Nascar Matador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Correct wheels for Nascar Matador Reply with quote

In my eventual build queue is an Allison Matador like this using the old AMT kit as a starting point. What wheels would be correct there?

I have a set of the PPP #SW, '70's slotted Weld style wheels'. They look very close but I'm not sure what was actually used and hoped someone with more knowledge on the subject could help out here?

TIA
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five whole wheels in the older Monogram Ford stock cars are probably your best bet.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PPP slots are your best bet, they're the best "kidney bean" slotted early '70s wheels on the market. The wheels from the AMT '72 Monte Carlo will work but they need to be sectioned to be shallower to look right. Both look more correct and less "clunky" than the Salvino's 5-slots.
AMB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies here guys.

Tom, that's what I was thinking as well.

I have a set of the Monogram 5 slot wheels and in comparing them to the PPP SW wheels, think the PPP's are closer.

BTW - Do you know what brand name/style of wheel was actually used on the Nascar Matadors back in the day?

I've not gotten a Salvinos kit yet so cannot say how good or bad what they include are.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMB wrote:
Thanks for the replies here guys.

Tom, that's what I was thinking as well.

I have a set of the Monogram 5 slot wheels and in comparing them to the PPP SW wheels, think the PPP's are closer.

BTW - Do you know what brand name/style of wheel was actually used on the Nascar Matadors back in the day?

I've not gotten a Salvinos kit yet so cannot say how good or bad what they include are.

The small oval slot wheels were Clement wheels (still being manufactured by the family of former racer Larry Baumel in Michigan, I believe). I think the triangular slot wheel like the T-Bird kits were made by Norris Industries.
AMB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Tom. Had no idea that is what they used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: