Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bud Moore 67 Comet Cyclone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Bud Moore 67 Comet Cyclone Reply with quote

1967, a year Bud Moore was happy to put behind him. Bobbie Allison, LeeRoy,
Gordon Johncock and Cale Yarborough all had a turn behind the wheel. Car
ran so poorly most of the season that the Mercury Comet was sometimes referred
to as the Mercury "Vomit"
Only year I recall a Bud Moore car painted red and silver. Not my favorite Bud Moore
car either. Done as a short track car. Not to pleased with the SlotCarFever decals.
PPP tires/wheels, scratch built roll cage.

LeeRoy spins at Martinsville (transmission problem)
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a very nice job!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo of Wendell in a Chevelle! His Ford must not have been ready, I wish that was a color photo so I could try to figure out whose car he drove. Almost looks like the Ken Watter car that Phil Wendt drove in a handful of '68 races.
james220

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo. I attended most of the races at Martinsville during the 60's and don't remember Wendell in a Chevelle. It looks like one of the nonbuttress Chevelle's. Also as for the color of the Mercury, Bud Moore fielded factory Mercury Cougars in 1967 for Ford in the Tran-Am series. They were Silver and red. Bud bought a lot of Nascar Car technology to the series, it is amazing how grass roots the Trans Am series was before Bud use his knowledge to improve things and win. Also bought a little Nascar trickery to the series. Nice work on the Mercury by the way.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on the Comet. Like I said before, you should put this in the showroom where more people will see it and enjoy. I agree with the red and silver. I was researching for a Bud Moore trans am Mustang build and noticed the 69 mustang was his usual maroonish red and black but in 1970 he went to an all-yellow car. I thought that was odd.
hawk22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Moore was one of a kind. A WWII hero who survived the Normandy invasion & the Battle of the Bulge (as a teenager).
Those Bud Moore Mustangs had no comparison.
Glad to say I was at the Daytona 500 when Bobbie Allison drove the Moore Ford to victory in 1978.

Wendell Scott in a Chevelle at the fall race in Martinsville. Good thing there is a photo because all the NASCAR records show him in (his usual) Ford.
Not unusual for the independents of the day to “borrow” a car on occasion.
Scott ran 45 races that year & I'm sure never had but the one Ford of his own.
Those independent drivers/owners deserve a lot of credit for what that did.
jokar124

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Interesting photo of Wendell in a Chevelle! His Ford must not have been ready, I wish that was a color photo so I could try to figure out whose car he drove. Almost looks like the Ken Watter car that Phil Wendt drove in a handful of '68 races.

Pretty sure that's actually Don Biederman in the #94 '66 Chevelle, not Wendell Scott. Car owner was Ron Stotten. The race was '67 Old Dominion 500.
hawk22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good observation. Certainly could be a 94 on the car & NASCAR records seem to back that up.
LeeRoy was out on lap 28 but the 94 was around till lap 82.
Also Virginia was Scott’s home state. Would think if at all possible he would want to be in his own car so near home…
Almost 55 years ago!!!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bud Moore 67 Comet Cyclone Reply with quote

[quote="hawk22"]1967, a year Bud Moore was happy to put behind him. Bobbie Allison, LeeRoy,
Gordon Johncock and Cale Yarborough all had a turn behind the wheel. Car
ran so poorly most of the season that the Mercury Comet was sometimes referred
to as the Mercury "Vomit"
Only year I recall a Bud Moore car painted red and silver. Not my favorite Bud Moore
car either. Done as a short track car. Not to pleased with the SlotCarFever decals.
PPP tires/wheels, scratch built roll cage.

Shocker!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: