Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D printed 1/25 scale BOXY Matador.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: 3D printed 1/25 scale BOXY Matador..... Reply with quote

I just found on ebay a seller of 1/32 scale 1972-73 BOXY Matador that is 3D printed. I asked him if he did it in 1/25 and he said yes, within a week of so. I am going to buy a Mustang body he offers and I'll let you all know how well done these are.
Self promotion......I do decals for the BOXY Mat ...just sayin!!!! Very Happy
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he print in 1/64?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a number of 1/64 bodies. I should have my purchase FRIDAY so I'll lwt you know if they are any good.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same guy ive bought from, he has lots of stuff and keeps adding. I've bought lots of 1/32 slot car bodies from him. There are contour lines that have to be removed and general clean up like resin. A little harder to sand but not bad. I find him to be a great alternative. Where else you gonna find a 1/32 1979 Olds NASCAR body?? Topgaskz is the eBay seller.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an El Camino from him in 1/64, it's good but like Fozzie said there is some work ahead to make it right. But I'm a modeler, I can handle it!

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 1/25 scale Mustang II coupe. It is decent but will take some work. The body will need to be sanded and primed a few times before paint.
This same seller offered the new 1/25 Matador (boxy) today and I bought one today...I'll let you know how it is when I get it.
Duane Garner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: 3d printed bodies Reply with quote

Sorry, don't enjoy that much sanding. I'm gonna wait for the technology to advance a little farther. I've bought 4 bodies and they are just too labor intensive
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tech is there now....but printers that print at a res that is ready to use are commercial grade in the $30K range. Like everything....it will come to home machines. Owning a real Matador.....I am will to do the work!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember....in the early days of resin casting, some of the bodies needed a lot of elbow grease (and sanding pads)..
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
Remember....in the early days of resin casting, some of the bodies needed a lot of elbow grease (and sanding pads)..

YES!!! I still have some first Gen resin that were DOGS!
3D will get there.....but I gotta have a MATADOR!!!!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave Van, check out this Matador that ran in the Great American Stock Series at Salem Indiana last year. Sadly it was destroyed in a crash later in the year. Click for a bigger view.

Last edited by Dennis O on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sir!!!!
Thats a lot od rare sheet metal to be on a short track.....bravo for him running it!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Thanks Sir!!!!
Thats a lot od rare sheet metal to be on a short track.....bravo for him running it!

Did I ever tell you that I built a '74 Matador coupe as a six cylinder Hobby car for a friend of mine in '82 or '83? Of course they were just old cars then. It was a factory 304 car when he got it, that mid '70s orange color with a sort of buckskin colored vinyl roof. We bought a 232 and 3 speed trans out of a Gremlin in the junkyard, it went in without much fabrication. I'm pretty sure we got the pedal assembly and all the clutch linkage parts from the Gremlin too.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom...never knew that one!

I got yhe Boxy Matador in mail today. It's designed as a street stock body but may be a better racer. Door lines are shallow, good for a Cup car. Overall shape is good to very good. We'll see.....I think I will build #2 first and see how it goes. Thanks
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Tom...never knew that one!

I got yhe Boxy Matador in mail today. It's designed as a street stock body but may be a better racer. Door lines are shallow, good for a Cup car. Overall shape is good to very good. We'll see.....I think I will build #2 first and see how it goes. Thanks

Dave.... ordered my Matador today!! Hope to build the #2 Marcis version.
I may use the Cherry Run Allison decals if they work. Didn't you do some Matador decals at one time ??? Gotta see when it comes in to see the best chassis to fit as the real car was built at Holman Moddy.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do about every Matador ever run in Cup, ARCA and others. I do a set for #2 and all it's drivers
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of some pics of that body, Dave?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and get some today
Swede73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings...

Expanding upon things a little, I too have purchased and received the 'topgaz' '72 Matador in 1:25th scale in recent weeks and can relate some experiences. For examining things quickly, I feared the work required to clean matters up was too great, that I'd just have a bookcase curiosity to talk about with friends who might pick the integrated bodyshell with bumpers and grille work rendered in-place and ponder the state of things in the year 2022 with regards to 3D-printed stuff.

For hands-on work though, in point of fact the material used isn't terrible; i.e. it sands and shapes well, isn't a brittle as I'd first feared, while the really rough tail area/rear valance panel/bumper, etc. did respond (in time) to concerted effort to set things right. The side mirrors, vent window frames, all the weathersealing, the wheel arch trim, plus the very faint vinyl top and related trim all came off, although and as another poster relates, don't expect panel lines - especially as this relates to the doors. The stock exterior door latches, flush as they are, don't really convince - but then on a period NASCAR racer other approaches were taken.

Although I'm really slow and may never strictly see my project to fully paint-finished conclusion, usually I can develop a good mock up. I'm using a stretched AMT Alan Kulwicki NASCAR Thunderbird Banjo Matthews chassis with most of an AMT Penske 'frogeye' Matador engine, PPP tires, resin Holman-Moody stamped steel NASCAR wheels, Cherry Run Decals (the AMC Matador sheet apparently ran out with my purchase of the same from Ace Decals), and whatever else I can cobble up. Photo uploads are a bit difficult for me at present, although perhaps I can clear the hurdles and relate what I've done to this point versus extending the mystery.

Other pathways one might take concerning the 'bullfighter' Penske Matador would include the Robert Burns/Too Many Projects angle, as well as the old Model Car World thick yellow resin transkit floating about here and there. Skilled scale enthusiasts are tackling the topic as I write, hence image search and visit other online places besides to discover threads of possible interest and import. I'm thinking one or many of us will finally come up with a discreet number of convincing completes of this neat period effort. Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Last edited by Swede73 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swede73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying if you will to post some recent project images, here would be my attempt to afford value beyond literal words. Online resources such as the Petersen Digital Archives feature a great many period images of the topic if one is willing to slog through a mountain of results generated for employing search terms such as '1972 NASCAR' or '1973 NASCAR'. If better interior illumination is sought, consider searching with '1974 NASCAR' as the later 'frogeye' update was painted in a more traditional Penske manner for being finished in a uniform light industrial gray hue rendering what was formerly invisible actually discernable.

Removing the bumper guards both front and rear is understood not to be huge fun - especially as the topmost section of the front guards intrude into the grill area, but otherwise looking like a trim period AMT or MPC tool and generally well-proportioned. The tail panel in the rear is mostly covered with flush panels on the NASCAR iteration, hence if one cleans up the valance panel and bumper it's pretty much good to go.
The grill on the period racer is mostly made up of nearly flush mounted fine screens, hence precise year-specific trim isn't hugely important to have. I do have another body on order, and will likely cut it apart to explore matters like adding an opening hood, plus facilitate further finish options for the bumpers and related trim front and rear.

The chassis has been sectioned in below the dashboard to expand the wheelbase do know, but otherwise hasn't received much work thus far. Backdating the chassis will require further work, whereas the roll cage stands to be fabricated next. I inadvertently applied a glossier clearcoat to the PPP tires, hence these were wasted. Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70 (known here as Swede73 here given my log in details and old email are long since inaccessible to me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: