Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Nascar build, Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: First Nascar build, Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Hi Guys !

Ive never built a Nascar before, but I like building things Ive never tried before so here goes !
Nascar is kind of unknown here in the UK so Ive spent some time researching and collecting pics. Hopefully you guys can maybe help me with a few questions along the way !
This is Earnhardts car from 95 i believe, the brickyard 400 winner.
Im not building an exact replica, more of a typical racecar. So feel free to point out any mistakes etc !

After a time cleaning up parts Ive started the basic chassis, copying reference pics I then cut the window net and front frame off, and replaced it with something hopefully more realistic !

Almost ready for primer now !

Last edited by Martin on Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also cut the trunk out and made a frame for the hood.
From the builds Ive seen how does the inside of the trunk look ? Some show a frame like the hood, others show standard chevrolet reinforement ?

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are off to a good start!!!
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Never would have guessed that this is your first NASCAR build! Looking good so far!! What types of builds do you usually do? We've got categories for stuff other than NASCAR and I would really like to see what else you've done!
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.
And Thank you Razorback !
Generally I build Lowriders, they are my favourite, but I've built a few cars along the lines of Chip Foose, a few damaged/rusty cars, and a few hot rods etc...
I've had a real lack of enthusiasm for models recently so chose something totally different to build. Can't remember the last time I built anything out the box, so hopefully I'll go to town with details instead !
Thanks again, I'll post up some older builds soon !
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying a new primer out for the chassis, but it takes ages to dry...
So i thought Id build the seat !
Again copying reference pictures Ive cut out openings in the seat for belts, added an extra panel for the head support and one where your feet go.
Seat belts are made from ribbon with p/e buckles, padding is sandpaper and theres a few p/e nuts n bolts to finish it off.
Its more of a typical Race seat I guess, as Earnhardts real seat seemed pretty plain in comparison ?

More soon, thanks for looking..

Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful detailing!
What size ribbon do you use for seat belts?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pierre,
The ribbon i have is 2mm, I'm pretty sure it was on an Xmas gift years ago and I kept it ! Seems to fit the p/e buckles ok anyway !
It's actually purple but I colored it black with a permanent market pen ..
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the chassis in paint, but not entirely happy as its a bit too orangey !

I was after MCW Poppy red, which i believe is the correct shade, but could only order it from abroad... which is getting expensive !

So i had a guess at a shade of orange i had already, i think its better being more orange than red anyway, as some pics of the real car look closer to this.

Ive seen a terrific build by Clay Kemp so im trying to copy a few details from that. Nearly ready for the seat to go in, then theres fire extinguishers etc and the rest of the cage next.

Thanks for looking, more soon...

hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seat is excellent but if you're looking for an accurate Earnhardt car I'd be careful and do some research before you install it. Dale was notorious for using a very primitive drivers seat, right up until the end. I believe it was listed as a contributing factor in his fatal crash. He ran a very bare-bones, old school seat without all the bracing and pads that most of the garage started running in the 90's. Exceptional work but you might want to save it for another build.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hurricane !
I`ve got this pic of Dales seat, but just wanted to add a more modern seat as I could add more detail to it ! I`m not building an exact replica, but thanks for pointing this out ! Compared to the style I`ve built, Dales real car seat does look a bit basic ! !
I`m amazed they allowed him to race with it !

hurricane21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you posting the pic. It's an excellent reference shot. Great fabrication on the seat again.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys !
Bit more done, still waiting for some p/e parts from China to arrive so slow going at the moment !
Scratchbuilt floor mat has been screwed down, fire extinquisher with hold down straps and a couple more bars added to the cage.
Also started the fuel cell, more p/e bolts and Im trying to recreate the panels each side, which are chrome card then detail added with a toothpick !
Might redo these as there a bit too shiny ?

More soon and thanks for looking...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: