Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monogram 87 olds question.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Monogram 87 olds question..... Reply with quote

I think there was once a post on this site about using the 83 TBird Headlight doors to modify the front of the Cutlass to create a Delta 88 version. Anyone remember? Am I Imagining it?
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I remember seeing it on Randy's BC. I definitely want to try it out on an AJ build.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was to change it from a 1987 model to the 1986. The Delta 88 kits( Cale Hardees #29, Lake Speed Whynns #83) have a smooth headlight cover. But for 1986 the were recessed.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: I've done it Reply with quote

I did that exact mod on my '86 Terry Labonte Piedmont Airlines winner.

Took the T-bird headlight bezels and shortened the outer ends to fit. That was all that was needed. Built this car about 20 years ago.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '87 Olds kit IS a Delta 88. Olds went to the flush aero headlights on the street version for '87 so the NASCAR rules allowed the race car noses to be smooth over where the lights would be on the '87 version. The '86 had the normal small rectangular sealed beam quad lamps in chrome bezels and the T-Bird bezels are closer to being accurate for the '86 Delta 88 than they are for the '83-'86 T-Bird.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s my ‘86 Crisco build using T-bird bezels:

Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt T. wrote:
Here’s my ‘86 Crisco build using T-bird bezels:

Question, looking at your hood here, did you drill out the hood pins and put a sheet under them?, the look fairly flat at the base.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Matt does, but I have a Dremel bit that looks like an end mill the same diameter as the hood pin holes. After painting I clean up the openings by hand turning the bit and the hood pins drop right in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: