Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9 Hole wheels Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D_Young

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: 9 Hole wheels Question Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ideas where to get 1/24 9 hole wheels? A lot of the kits I build are Fords which come with the 5 hole wheels. I’ve raided every kit I have with the 9 holes and trying not to have to buy full kits just for wheels. I noticed Mike’s Decals has a resin for the 6 hole wheels from the 90’s but not the 9 hole. Thanks for any help.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check eBay. Somebody was selling a bunch a few weeks ago. I did ask Salvinos (no response) about a month ago if they would sell about 12 sets of tires. I prefer theirs since there is no raised lettering. Maybe someone could convince them to sell wheel/tire combos???
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ones are you looking for? First GM's had smaller holes and open hubs, Lumina's and some after had larger holes and closed hubs.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
I'd check eBay. Somebody was selling a bunch a few weeks ago. I did ask Salvinos (no response) about a month ago if they would sell about 12 sets of tires. I prefer theirs since there is no raised lettering. Maybe someone could convince them to sell wheel/tire combos???

If you e-mailed the store web age sight you probably won't get a reply, they get far too much spam e-mail at that one.
try their individual ones.
Name@salvino.us

But they are dealing with a lot of stuff. with family members
and Jim is busy working on projects they are obligated to fill with their contracts.
Be patient
Chris is probably your best bet.
Jim might be able to 3D print them when he gets caught up?
lefty1820

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: post Reply with quote

Try putting a LF (Looking For) on "The Trading Post"

See what replies you get.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing. Salvinos Just responded about selling tires wheels separately. I guess its been brought up before and they're currently against it but perhaps we can continue to ask and maybe they change their mind.

Doesn't AMT sell like drag packs with tires and wheels I think those sell pretty well.

Maybe it's a tool capacity issue?
Red96

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try looking at Shapeways.com. Shapeways is kind of like Etsy, but everything is 3D printed. I've had good luck finding a few oddball pieces for a project. Lots of NASCAR bits on there.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interested to know what years were the 9-hole wheels used in Cup series?
elcejay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
Would be interested to know what years were the 9-hole wheels used in Cup series?

I have similar problems and questions. I have created a new post - 'What wheels when?' Maybe we can get some clarity for us and future modellers.
Bbo1974

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to dive into casting my own wheels, but thanksfully found some on ebay. They show up fairly regularly, once you find a set you can start searching for similar products and usually find more.

Also...

Check the thread below:
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=4789

He has a box of parts and I saw several sets of 9 hole wheels in that box!
DarylH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So '89 to '92 Monogram T-Birds have 9 hole wheels
lefty1820

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: references Reply with quote

Research should be done to see what wheels were used in a certain race weekend.

For instance, the 1988 #30 Country Time Pontiac I am currently building per a specific photograph shows this car with 5 hole wheels that are not seen on GM race cars very often. Now later '88 pics of the Country Time show 9-hole wheels.

This is the car currently inwork.

and another from the same year.
Bbo1974

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a picture like that before. The second one shows 5 hole wheels on the front and 9 hole wheels on the back.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: good eye Reply with quote

Good eye! I didn't pic up on that either.

That would be a unique build in itself. I'm building the top picture.
jbherri2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I haven't seen that before, either.
Would be cool to see if people notice that on your complete model - "Rivet Counters" Smile
lefty1820

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

Also notice that both those cars in lower pic are running Hoosier tires.
jbherri2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Also notice that both those cars in lower pic are running Hoosier tires."

even cooler!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Waltrip Brothers photo was from the 1989 Daytona 500, won by older brother Darrell - on HOOSIER tires - after Goodyear's new radial tire flopped. Hendrick Motorsports was one of many teams to make the switch DURING Speedweeks 1989. Back in The Day it was not uncommon for teams to use different rims on the same car. They all had five stud holes in a FORD pattern !!! Some teams would even let another, lesser team " scrub " a set of new tires for a few practice laps. This had the effect of curing or hardening the tires, which some teams & drivers preferred at certain tracks.
Worth noting that nowadays most NASCAR Cup teams LEASE their rims from an outside company who hauls the rims to / from the event, cleans, repairs, re-balances, & re-paints the rims.

Last edited by George Andrews on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the thinking was by the teams on 5 hole vs 9 hole wheels at the time.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
I wonder what the thinking was by the teams on 5 hole vs 9 hole wheels at the time.

I'm thinking the 5 hole rims were stronger, and perhaps did not pump as much air ??? Maybe tire changer preference too ??? Co$t was likely a factor too -- teams used whatever they already had on hand. The Hoosier vs. Goodyear tire wars forced front - running teams to use BOTH brands in practice, ( which tire is FASTER ? ), which meant bringing more rims to the track.
Scott H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Wheels Reply with quote

It will be good to see on the what wheel when thread to pin down the time frames various wheels were used. With that said these teams are preparing upward of 10 sets of wheels for a race weekend. So while they might use all 9 hole at one race they might be using all 5 hole at another. I would think they did not mix and match but I remember watching races where teams ran out of tires and bought tires from another team that was out of the race. So you could end up with what ever they were running. Abrasive tracks meant that teams were changing tires every chance they got.

Someone else can speak to this better than i can but the 5 or 6 hole wheel might have been satisfactory at some tracks and not others as well. So the choice of wheels for a race might have been colored by that. The wealthier teams might have purchased all one kind but a lot of teams probably had an inventory and planned according to need.

I don:t claim to know the answer other than work from a photo to guide vs x team always used x wheel.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of teams had wheel contracts. I remember the Hendrick team for Schrader used 5 hole painted gold while the others used 9 hole black ones. Petty's teams used 6 hole in the late 90's. The tire changer told me they were easier to pull off during a pit stop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: