Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impala reference photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Impala reference photos Reply with quote

Hello fellow modelers I'm asking for your help, I'm in need of reference pics of Impala builds. I would like sides, tops, front, back, and interior shots. This is my first build of one and literally have no clue where to start as far as extending sides? lowering stance? exhaust dumps/jack points move? Any advice is surely appreciated also. I would like to really detail this car also if any of you guys have those pics. Thank you guys in advance, you have all been very kind and generous with your advice, tips, and knowledge.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built mine largely box stock. I filled in the nose with body putty to simulate the change in the front, as I recall, I drilled the holes where the axles go larger to lower the stance. The spoilers in many of these were resin pieces I made, but if you get the kit with the spoiler, you don't have to worry about this. I hope this helps. Below are a few builds of mine.

[img][/img][img][/img]
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the pics Jim. Why or when did they stop using the front valance braces(the little braces that connected the middle of the nose to the chin valance)? Also, mine came with a "wing" for the back, did they stop using these? The pictures of the car I want to build shows the wing and those little nose braces on it. Very nice builds Very Happy.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments on my models. As far as I can tell, below is the history with the COT and whether wings, spoilers and the kind of splitter was used. The car was very unpopular with the fans, and as I recall, the wings with the full splitter and the braces gave the cars a European look that the fans did not like. The spoiler and the splitter without the braces gave the cars more of a traditional NASCAR look, and while still not popular with the fans, they tolerated the car.

2009: The cars used the wing and the splitter with the braces.
2010: The cars used a spoiler, but still maintained the splitter with the braces.
2011: The cars moved to the spoiler and the splitter without the braces. The cars raced in this configuration until the Gen 6 cars came out.

I hope this helps.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jim, this all makes sense now. The car I'm building was raced in 2009 which explains all the pictures of the wing and splitter/braces. I'm building the Taco Bell of John Andretti, he's my favorite driver Very Happy.
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Dave. Be sure to post it when you are through. I always thought the AMT COT's built up into nice models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: