Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1978 Cale Yarborough First National Travelers Check Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: 1978 Cale Yarborough First National Travelers Check Color Reply with quote

In continuing my builds of Championship cars, I just picked up the Salvino 1978 First National City Travelers Check Oldsmobile. In looking at pictures trying to decide what color to use for the lower sides of this car. The kit comes with decals that are yellow but in pictures it has a dark yellow or orange look to it. What color has everyone used for this?

bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell any one person what to do but like the photo shown above, the interior orange colour of the door numbers pretty closely matches the orange paint of the lower body.

So, I'd be inclined to use whatever shade of orange matches up best with the decals you intend to use. Plenty of pretty decent options out there.

I've got a diecast custom of this car in progress, using a Franklin Petty '79 Olds as a donor. Chassis is all done. I had used Tamiya McLaren Orange for the lower body to match some older decals I had (Cady?). But then Powerslide came out with beautiful decals that don't quite match. I've bought them and intend to use them.

Maybe the McLaren Orange is the right call using different primer than the grey I used. Don't know. Need time to play with it.

I might live with a slight difference. Might not. Need the business to slow down so I have more time to get back at it. If not then I probably live with what's already done.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same challenge when doing the Holly Farms livery from the previous year. I believe it is the same orange color
All the period pictures lead me to the concept of matching the inside of the door numbers. Problem is the Powerslide sheet has these numbers in yellow.
I ended up not matching it and mixing a more orange color. I agree that McLaren orange should be pretty good although I think the color was more of a burnt orange tone. Hard one to do.
Here's what I ended up doing, darker than the "11" color

[url[/url]
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looks boss, Pierre.
james220

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color I used for mine was by Tamaya called McClaren orange, I think it is TS-56 Bright Orange.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TS-56. It was good old School Bus Yellow, same as the Bud Moore Trans Am and '72 NASCAR color in person but TS-56 is the closest color in a hobby spray. FWIW, in person the yellow vinyl numbers weren't an exact match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: