Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dinner Bell OLD’s yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Dinner Bell OLD’s yellow Reply with quote

Hey guys would anyone have a tip on a good yellow for the Dinner Bell Olds?
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mVjvsz]
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, maybe Camel yellow.

The yellow seems "mellow" to me.
elcejay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the photos make it look like a darker, more orange, yellow than it is.

I have a Revell diecast of another version of the car (same version as the Monogram kit). The yellow on the body is pretty much the same as the yellow on the Food Lion logo. This is true of both versions of the car we are comparing here.

The closest match I see is Testors/Model Master 28104 Chrysler Yellow. With that now being out of manufacture, Tamiya TS-16 on grey primer is the next best option for a match to the yellow on my diecast.

All that being said, the best bet, at least in my simple mind, is to match the paint to the Food Lion yellow on your decal sheet, otherwise the body color might be 'accurate', but the car will look wrong.
BrianP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very yellow, yellow. In some photos it almost looks fluorescent, but without the tinge of green that fluorescent yellow can have. I matched the Food Lion yellow on the decals, and was very happy with my build of the car.
elcejay

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shunter. Re-reading my last post, it may have been a bit convoluted, sorry. In short, I agree with BrianP. The car is more of a true yellow than the on-line images show. I think that all of us agree that the car is painted in Food Lion yellow.

That being so, my humble opinion is that to make a good looking model of the car, find the yellow that best matches the Food Lion yellow on your decal set. It may not be exactly correct for the real car, but if you don't match the body color to the Food Lion yellow on your decals, the car will look awfully wrong. This is what I was trying to say in my last post - sometimes color accuracy does not produce the best outcome because we are bound by the colors of the decals we have available to us. Unless we can make our own color-accurate decals, we need to work with what we have available to us.

I hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: