Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#013 Ford Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: #013 Ford Thunderbird Reply with quote

Hello and Happy Sunday Folks!
Info on this car/racer is lacking and my research is turning nothing up.
Can someone identify the driver of this racer for me please.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I think this pic

Thanks!
Bob B

Last edited by Bob B on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I saw this pic last week and was curious too. It is a 67-69 T Bird and probably Winston West but I could find nothing specific on Ultimate Racing History. The name on the roof says (I think) Joe somebody. But I couldn't connect a #13 car to anybody by that name. Would be a neat build.
Bob B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Coincidentally I saw this pic last week and was curious too. It is a 67-69 T Bird and probably Winston West but I could find nothing specific on Ultimate Racing History. The name on the roof says (I think) Joe somebody. But I couldn't connect a #13 car to anybody by that name. Would be a neat build.

Agreed! A neat build indeed. Getty images website has a couple pics of this car. Caption reads Tuborg 400 on June 10th. No reference to the driver.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brief research on Racing Reference website for NASCAR's Pacific Coast Late Model / Grand National West Series does not show a 1967 - '69 Ford car number 013 at any of the road courses the series ran in the years 1967 through 1973. There was a " TUBORG Classis " event at Laguna Seca in 1973, but still no listing of a car #013. It is possible the pic was taken during practice or qualifying, with the car not making the show. The car number could also have been changed before the race, as NASCAR only allowed 3 digit car numbers until 1970. Another possibility is this car was downgraded for use as a Sportsman Division car; lotsa old GNW cars met this same fate.
The area of the picture looks A LOT like Turn 8 at Riverside, EXCEPT the low hill behind the car somehow just doesn't look right based on other period photos I have seen.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brief research on Racing Reference website for NASCAR's Pacific Coast Late Model / Grand National West Series does not show a 1967 - '69 Ford car number 013 at any of the road courses the series ran in the years 1967 through 1973. There was a " TUBORG Classis " event at Laguna Seca in 1973, but still no listing of a car #013. It is possible the pic was taken during practice or qualifying, with the car not making the show. The car number could also have been changed before the race, as NASCAR only allowed 3 digit car numbers until 1970. Another possibility is this car was downgraded for use as a Sportsman Division car; lotsa old GNW cars met this same fate.
The area of the picture looks A LOT like Turn 8 at Riverside, EXCEPT the low hill behind the car somehow just doesn't look right based on other period photos I have seen.
Bob B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:

George-
Thanks for sharing your insight!!!

Additional research suggests:
Driver is John Dineen from El Cajon, CA
Race is the Late Model Sportsman California 100 run on 6/9/1974 at Riverside
Car finished in 4th place

Now trying to understand the car color scheme? Red and white?
Graphics on the hood and sides?
Looks to be sponsored by Marck Motors.

That's all for now,
Bob B
Racer14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red and white would be a good guess. I saw a pic of the 71 Ford he was running at the same time and it was a red and white layout similar to the TBird and also sponsored by Marck Motors.
Bob B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Red and white would be a good guess. I saw a pic of the 71 Ford he was running at the same time and it was a red and white layout similar to the TBird and also sponsored by Marck Motors.

Can you post or send me that pic you reference please.
Thanks!
Bob B
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PM'd you some links to the Torino pics.
Bob B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
I PM'd you some links to the Torino pics.

Hey thanks Racer14!
Red and white color scheme looks to be a good guess for the T-Bird!
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: