Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos JR New Product News

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG Brown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Salvinos JR New Product News Reply with quote

Here's a new product video that I hope you will enjoy from Salvinos JR model company.

https://fb.watch/9AYJEV0lMT/

Please contact them on their FB page with your questions.

Sorry that I had to re-post because some people said that they couldn't follow the link.

Last edited by MG Brown on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the super secret info that us regular folks could not know????? I hope not!!!!!!
I'd like to try the wrap......looks very much like the decal MPC supplied in their kit back 1975.
But hobby changing...no.
MG Brown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
But hobby changing...no.

This is a thin vinyl self-adhesive wrap intended to go on a molded-in color body and related trees of black and silver.

Has anyone ever made a NASCAR kit with vinyl decorations?
Les Mosher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in trying these "wraps". What happens if you don't put them on perfectly square on the first try? Remove the whole sticker and try again? I'm also willing to bet that they will be peeling off within a year. Don't get me wrong, Salvino's has filled a lot in a large gap in NASCAR kits, but I don't think these "wraps" are an improvement in scale modeling.
TonyK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to try just for something different. I would hope they tested this again and again to make sure it works well.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason v wraps would not work on scale models when they have been used on full size cars for so long.
I wonder about the gloss...can a clear coat be applied on after?
Neat idea but maybe not for me. Painting and decals is my favorite part in a build process.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, another Salvino "improvement"!
MG Brown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stated purpose by the company for this product is to allow access to scale model building for people without advanced painting and decaling/decorating skills.

I feel that any effort to bring more people into the modeling hobby is ultimately good for us all.

Let's not condemn the product before it even hits dealer shelves.

I believe somewhere in the video that Jim states and demonstrates that the wrap can be removed and repositioned a certain number of times to align correctly.

Last edited by MG Brown on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molded in color body? No thank you. I really dislike molded in color bodies. They are such a pain. You're not making the hobby easier to get in to. You're just making it harder for the people already in it.
MG Brown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Molded in color body? No thank you. I really dislike molded-in-color bodies. They are such a pain. You're not making the hobby easier to get in to. You're just making it harder for the people already in it.

SJR will continue to make all of their kits available molded in white with waterslide decals.

This is a separate product for entry-level skill modelers.

I'm fairly sure that was mentioned in the video.

Edit: I just checked and all of the questions so far were answered in the video.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has their wOrLd FaMoUs cHrOmE too. Laughing

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think vinyl wrap decals have been in use on slot car bodies for a long time.

If it helps grow the hobby, I'm all for it.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG Brown wrote:
The stated purpose by the company for this product is to allow access to scale model building for people without advanced painting and decaling/decorating skills.

I feel that any effort to bring more people into the modeling hobby is ultimately good for us all.

Let's not condemn the product before it even hits dealer shelves.

I believe somewhere in the video that Jim states and demonstrates that the wrap can be removed and repositioned a certain number of times to align correctly.

My comment that this may not be for me (I love paint & decal work) was in no way meant to knock down the product so my apologies if it was perceived to be.
I welcome any new product offering that may offer new build options.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These vinyl wraps don't look to bad, may have to give one a try.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever try using the original Monogram Mountain Dew Buick Decals ??? They were a REAL HEAD - BANGER !!! Laughing This deal is likely much easier for the novice builder.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its an option that gets younger people interested in building then I say its a good thing. They'll likely never come up with a product that's better than paint and waterslide decals from an aesthetics perspective and the more dedicated builders will always want the best looking option regardless of the work involved. Having a company trying to attract younger demographics is a good thing. It means they plan on being around for a while. And lets be honest here - we can find faults with every kit ever produced if we look hard enough.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about applying the stick on to decal paper??? You can then move it around some.
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's like most vinyl "stickers", you should be able to apply them with a light coat of soapy water in order to position the sticker correctly. Squeegy the soapy water to eliminate any bubbles and the sticker will adhere in place.
Shepard327

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the video of how these go on, I thought on how these are aimed at a new to the hobby person. that same person has been applying Skins to everything they own, from their laptops to skateboards to who knows what.
Being an antique myself, I had the MPC Petty Charger with whole body decals.
Messed up on the drivers side,got frustrated, Hey I paid $3.00 for this kit New.and ended up taping and painting it. also those MPC bodies were molded in Petty Blue also. Just remembered that i used my Golden Wheels points plus shipping to get the Cale Yarborough Kar Kare special, Also equipped with full side decals. nope it didn't work either due to my youth and not knowing about applying extra water to be able to slide them around.
Anything that gets someone to try a new hobby is worth it. Good Job JR Salvino's!!!!
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Mosher wrote:
I have no interest in trying these "wraps". What happens if you don't put them on perfectly square on the first try? Remove the whole sticker and try again? I'm also willing to bet that they will be peeling off within a year. Don't get me wrong, Salvino's has filled a lot in a large gap in NASCAR kits, but I don't think these "wraps" are an improvement in scale modeling.

From the video, it seems easy enough to reposition the vinyl piece to the proper location before rubbing it down to attach it permanently.

I've never used vinyl before but I'm going to give one of these a try to see how they work.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Molded in color body? No thank you. I really dislike molded in color bodies. They are such a pain. You're not making the hobby easier to get in to. You're just making it harder for the people already in it.

The one advantage I find in used bodies molded in color is that you can shoot a quick coat of paint (which is close to the molded color) over them without primer and it comes out quite well in my experience. I do this with Tamiya kits a lot and it cuts down on a lot of building time this way.

For novice builders, having the body molded in color is a big help. Painting intimidates a lot of people looking to get into the hobby.
vikecad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They think a kid is gonna buy a kit at the race and build it in the stands while watching the race.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

The one advantage I find in used bodies molded in color is that you can shoot a quick coat of paint (which is close to the molded color) over them without primer and it comes out quite well in my experience. I do this with Tamiya kits a lot and it cuts down on a lot of building time this way.

For novice builders, having the body molded in color is a big help. Painting intimidates a lot of people looking to get into the hobby.

Well said, Steve.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
Les Mosher wrote:

From the video, it seems easy enough to reposition the vinyl piece to the proper location before rubbing it down to attach it permanently.

I've never used vinyl before but I'm going to give one of these a try to see how they work.

Patto's are very enthusiastic about the options they offer in this format. And they're a long term going concern, so, I have every faith it's a viable option.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

The color used in these is Not Dye like the Monogram kits of past that would bleed through.
They're using a Pigment that should stop this.
and if this help new blood into the hobby, all for it.
If you have trouble painting these petty type schemes, this is for you.
same goes if you don't have a place to paint.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that the molded color parts & vinyl sticker kits are just another option for kit offerings. Salvino's is NOT stopping producing kits that are molded in white with waterslide decals. They will be doing both style kits. The Molded color & vinyl kits will be sold mainly at trackside vendors, NASCAR Hall of Fame, team souvenir shops, and other places like that. Hobby shops & distributers will also be able to sell the kits. And from Salvino's website... The white molded, waterslide decals will be available from Salvino's, hobby shops, distributers, and any other vendor that may want to sell them. The Salvino's builders club members "kit of the month" will be a white molded, waterslide decal kit...

They also announced that all kits they produce from the ground up, will have some parts sprues molded in color. The engine parts sprue will be a metallic silver color. Another one with other parts molded in black. etc. This will apply to both the white molded kits & color molded kits.. This will not apply to the molds they acquired/will acquire from Revell(Monogram). Hope this helps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: