Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone remember the Young Model Builders Club?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone remember the Young Model Builders Club? Reply with quote

When I was a kid and getting interested in building models by watching my dad build models and work on his slot cars on the dining room table, my parents signed me up for a model-of-the-month club and I'd receive a model (or two?) every month. You never knew what you'd get, and I've forgotten what many of them were. The models that I'm sure came from the club were a Huey Helicopter, a Sopwith Camel WW1 fighter, PT-109 torpedo boat, the Apollo Lunar Lander, and a big ship with rigging (Santa Maria perhaps?) There are other models I recall, but being so young (8, or so), I'm fuzzy on which ones were from the club and which ones I was watching and/or "Helping(!)" dad build. (Beer Wagon, Red Baron car, a custom trike with a vulture head on the seat, Pie Wagon, Tombstone - or whatever it was called....an 1880's era hearse with a skeleton standing next to it) I think some of the old Aurora Glow-in-the-Dark "Horror Movie" characters came from the club too? (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy) I can still remember the paint smell from all the black paint on the Phantom of the Opera

My guess is that many on here around my age probably were influenced by these too. I still have some of the tools that came free with membership! (A file and some X-Acto tweezers) I remember putting plug wires and fuel lines on my models (Phone wire and fishing line) and I thought I was the only guy in the world that thought of adding my own details. Ha!

Would love to hear your stories of the models you remember if you were part of that same club. Wish I could find a list of the models that they provided back in the late 60's/early 70's. Someday I'd like to re-build some of those kits that I remember from back then...
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 1960's my brother would pay me 50 cents a week to help with his paper route. Model at that time were 50 cents, $1 and $1.50. The $1.50 ones were the 3in1 kits. I'd save my my money and buy me a model every once in a while. I remember a big old Pontiac Catalina model and some open wheel hot rods. I was all cars, never did do ships or planes.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never joined a Model - of - the - Month club, however my first exposure to plastic model building was with Monogram's World War 2 Military kits. I built them all; the Half - Track & Sherman tank were my favorites, along with the large scale B - 17 & B - 24 Bombers. Shep Paine was my 1st modeling hero.
I sure wish those kits were around today. They were fairly simple yet well detailed, and a great starting point for mods & upgrades. I only wish I had the patience back then to wait for the glue to dry BEFORE I started rolling the tanks & trucks around on the carpet !!! Rolling Eyes
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
I never joined a Model - of - the - Month club, however my first exposure to plastic model building was with Monogram's World War 2 Military kits. I built them all; the Half - Track & Sherman tank were my favorites, along with the large scale B - 17 & B - 24 Bombers. Shep Paine was my 1st modeling hero.
I sure wish those kits were around today. They were fairly simple yet well detailed, and a great starting point for mods & upgrades. I only wish I had the patience back then to wait for the glue to dry BEFORE I started rolling the tanks & trucks around on the carpet !!! Rolling Eyes

Those were great kits back then especially with the figures.
I was also into the Monogram 1/48 WWII Naval aircraft kits with the folding wings, retractable landing gear and arresting hooks. I would string heavy black thread across Mom's coffee table and that was my carrier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: