Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fireball 63 Galaxie project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Fireball 63 Galaxie project Reply with quote

Taking on a new project after a 6 month pause.
Fireball's 63 ride, metallic purple livery.
Working a bit backwards here, my first task was to do painting tests before deciding on this project.
The reasoning is the challenge of mixing and brush painting this unique color
[/url

Testing a new (to me) Vallejo product called metal medium, really a pearl like product with mica which mixed with a solid color would create a metallic.
It works but if lightens the color and changes the tone a lot.
Mixing dark purple, blue and the mica for these tests and then a scrap body test.
[url

Compared to pics above, a period picture and one of the H&M restored car, my test body seems reasonably close, perhaps a bit darker and a bit more red in tone.
My problem is that I see so many variations of color for this car by comparison with other source material.
Looking for opinions of other builders about what the color should be.

I will go ahead with the build as I now feel a metallic is doable with brushes but would welcome suggestions for the color brightness and hue.[/url]
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're on the right track, Pierre. The color you have so far is much closer then what I ended up with. Those are much better reference pictures for color then I had. I had to rely on the paint makers decision on the color of the car. That's the beauty of mixing your own paint. I will be watching intently on this one. It's going to be great.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your process and skills have me with no doubts on what right can look like. Tear it up!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your input. I might try to tweak that color some more but feel confident I can go ahead with the project.
I will update this post with WIP shots.
First challenge is to try to salvage the most basic (one piece) chassis. Feels like putting lipstick on a pig but hey, if this was easy it would not be fun!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
Thank you guys for your input. I might try to tweak that color some more but feel confident I can go ahead with the project.
I will update this post with WIP shots.
First challenge is to try to salvage the most basic (one piece) chassis. Feels like putting lipstick on a pig but hey, if this was easy it would not be fun!

Yes, cutting out molded in mufflers and tailpipes is so much fun......not. Or you could waste a kit and find a 60 galaxie kit and steal the chassis from it. At least that's what I heard you can do.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely on the lookout if a 60 Galaxie kit pops up as I would use it for a 64 Galaxie kit I plan to do next. That 64 Galaxie is even more basic wit a one piece interior...seats and all.
For this project I have started with the kit chassis. Will post pictures of chassis progress soon
DarylH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting time for the teams as they worked to see how much they could get by the NASCAR inspectors.
They ran the exhaust pipes through the frame rails in '63 and part of '64 until the inspectors decided that it could weaken the frame so they told the teams to stop it.
That's why you see the exhaust come through a notch in the body work in early '64 but by mid-season
that notch was patched over and the exhaust came out under the rails.

I think you nailed that color for the later '63 car. It began the season in that non-metallic lilac color. Ugh...
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
I'm definitely on the lookout if a 60 Galaxie kit pops up as I would use it for a 64 Galaxie kit I plan to do next. That 64 Galaxie is even more basic wit a one piece interior...seats and all.
For this project I have started with the kit chassis. Will post pictures of chassis progress soon

I wish Round 2 would do the 64 Galaxie again. I have only been able to get my hands on one, one time, for the Tom Pistone model I did a while back. a 1966 Comet would also be nice and if not a 66 then a 67 would work. I really would like to do Dieringer's 66 Southern 500 winner.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, take a look at this

https://www.modelroundup.com/1964-Ford-Galaxie-500-XL-p/amt-r2-1261.htm
https://www.modelroundup.com/Cal-Drag-Combo-p/amt-r2-1223.htm
MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:

I wish Round 2 would do the 64 Galaxie again. I have only been able to get my hands on one, one time, for the Tom Pistone model I did a while back. a 1966 Comet would also be nice and if not a 66 then a 67 would work. I really would like to do Dieringer's 66 Southern 500 winner.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting on the chassis. The kit comes with a one piece chassis. The plan is to dress it up a bit...shelf model, not very detailed.
Based on the reference picture below, early sixties Ford, would like to mock up extra set or rear shocks, fuel tank and through the frame exhaust dumps

[url

First step is removing the rear passenger footwell tubs and replace with flat panels, then chisel out molded exhaust

[/url

Just adding this idea along the way: use a spare 63 chevy suspension, flipped around to rear steer...looks strangely like a Ford setup

[url[/url]
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the fuel tank, fuel cell or whatever it was in 63.
Gonna do this origami style, a bit of putty and thin strips styrene for the straps

[url
[/url
[url[/url]
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel tank installed. Rear shocks (second pair) from spares reworked and glued in. Next moving on to front end.

[url

Front end installed and exhaust dumps fabricated from 4mm tube
I beefed up the frame where the dumps pass through as I assume they would do to maintain a semblance of structural capability.
Still a lot of sanding, puttying and primer to see where the warts will come out.
Here's what she looks like so far

[/url
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far on Fireball's 63. Not an easy build. The actual color of the real car was 1956 Ford Regency Purple. It might help to do a web search of Ford Regency Purple to get some better pictures of what the color actually looked like. Your mix looks great but probably too dark.

The difficulties to me on a 63 Galaxie build have always been the chassis and the rear panel between the taillights. Getting rid of the chrome facade above the rear bumper.

MarkJ has an excellent build of The Fireball Robert's Southern 500 winner if you can find a link. That was always the car I wanted to make but have yet to see correct decals for the markings. MarkJ made his own and nailed it,
afx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting project, I'll be following
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Pierre. You knocked out that chassis in record time. Everything looks right on. Love the way you did the tank. Did you butt the pipes up to the frame on each side to make them appear to go through. I found thay was a better way to do it then actually drilling a hole through the frame and trying to feed the pipe through the hole.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Nice work so far on Fireball's 63. Not an easy build. The actual color of the real car was 1956 Ford Regency Purple. It might help to do a web search of Ford Regency Purple to get some better pictures of what the color actually looked like. Your mix looks great but probably too dark.

The difficulties to me on a 63 Galaxie build have always been the chassis and the rear panel between the taillights. Getting rid of the chrome facade above the rear bumper.

MarkJ has an excellent build of The Fireball Robert's Southern 500 winner if you can find a link. That was always the car I wanted to make but have yet to see correct decals for the markings. MarkJ made his own and nailed it,

Bill, thank you so much for your valuable input. Mark has sent me pictures of his great build and it helps me tremendously.
Any additional advice you may have for this build will be most appreciated
I did not know about the specific color origin so this is great help. I definitely need to tone down and lighten my mix to look more like this:

[url[/url]
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Wow, Pierre. You knocked out that chassis in record time. Everything looks right on. Love the way you did the tank. Did you butt the pipes up to the frame on each side to make them appear to go through. I found thay was a better way to do it then actually drilling a hole through the frame and trying to feed the pipe through the hole.

Yep, did it just like you. Why invent something new when you can copy the masters!
Very Happy
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pierre Rivard"]
Bill J wrote:

Bill, thank you so much for your valuable input. Mark has sent me pictures of his great build and it helps me tremendously.
Any additional advice you may have for this build will be most appreciated
I did not know about the specific color origin so this is great help. I definitely need to tone down and lighten my mix to look more like this:

Glad to be of service Pierre. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your build. Coming along nicely for sure Smile
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Yep, did it just like you. Why invent something new when you can copy the masters!
Very Happy

I remember doing it the other way on my Rex White 64 merc and it took a lot longer and didn't look as good. Thanks.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Very Happy

I remember doing it the other way on my Rex White 64 merc and it took a lot longer and didn't look as good. Thanks.

I think we have our act perfected.
The first time you do it the hard way
The second time you do it the better way
The third time I just copy what you did the second time!
..aarrgghh ..stir .boogie
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, do you have any shots of the engine, or are you going to keep the hood shut?
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre, do you have any shots of the engine, or are you going to keep the hood shut?

So far I have just done the basic assembly so that I could marry the exhaust header to dumps placement for the chassis.
That engine is very basic so I don't know if I should take on necessary upgrades or do a closed hood.
Any advice?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

So far I have just done the basic assembly so that I could marry the exhaust header to dumps placement for the chassis.
That engine is very basic so I don't know if I should take on necessary upgrades or do a closed hood.
Any advice?

The only thing you need is the air cleaner that connects to the firewall. Its not that hard to make. You could go crazy and put double shocks on each side and plumb the engine. Seems like most people that do sixty's stuff just keep the hood shut.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much progress lately. Got the chassis primed, re-puttied, reprised...stop!
This is not going to get better so I have to accept this is it for this crap one piece chassis...

[url

Then I got really sidetracked as I started obsessing about this purple color until I started seing...purple! ..aarrgghh

[/url

I think I'm gonna settle on this shade. Definitely the toughest color mixing I have ever faced.

[url

My pills...where are my pills?
Shocked [/url]
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, the chassis looks great. I'd call it a day on it if I were you. Man you've put a lot of effort into that color. If the 56 ford pictured above is your target, I'm kinda liking that middle color on that paper on the far left, top. The one with the 3 color choices. I think it says from top to bottom, 5 violet, 1 809 blue, 5 met med, 12 thinner. But that's just a pair of old eyes, checking it out, and depends on how it looks on my monitor. I'm sure you have picked the correct one.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre, the chassis looks great. I'd call it a day on it if I were you. Man you've put a lot of effort into that color. If the 56 ford pictured above is your target, I'm kinda liking that middle color on that paper on the far left, top. The one with the 3 color choices. I think it says from top to bottom, 5 violet, 1 809 blue, 5 met med, 12 thinner. But that's just a pair of old eyes, checking it out, and depends on how it looks on my monitor. I'm sure you have picked the correct one.

I agree with you. The middle one on that card is the better color but I was struggling with painting it as I added more violet into the mix.
So I settled on a bit more blue instead, the top color on that card. The picture shows it a bit darker than it is and does not show the mica effect very well.
Definitely a difficult color to mix and to paint.
Thanks for your input my friend.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I agree with you. The middle one on that card is the better color but I was struggling with painting it as I added more violet into the mix.
So I settled on a bit more blue instead, the top color on that card. The picture shows it a bit darker than it is and does not show the mica effect very well.

I dont even know if I want to tell you this, but I read some where that all the 63 fords by Holman and Moody had pearlized paint. Incuding Fred Lorenzen's white car. I don't even know how to begin to pull that off. Then again, it might not be true. However I watched a you tube video of the 63 Southern 500 and Lorenzen's car did appear to not be a bright white but almost a very light gray white which would explain the pearlized efect. Dont know how to verify this. Maybe another old timer heard the same thing and can back it up. I do believe you are on the right track and the final result will be spectacular.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting fabrication of the interior. Lots of cutting out here with the rear seat, center console etc...

[url

I decided to take the whole bottom off. This won't get me surgeon of the year award, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

[/url

Thinking I will build up from the floorpan of the chassis i.e the interior tub, or what's left of it will marry to the chassis instead of the body.

[url

The roll cage build from 2.4mm evergreen tubes. Building upside down to try to get a good shaping match to the roof. In the end I will trim the feet to get the height to match.

[/url
[url[/url]
DarylH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build is fun to watch and a bit inspiring. I was at a model show Friday and had a Galaxie in my hands
but then I saw that they had the Salvino kits $5 cheaper than anywhere else so I chose an Allison Chevy.
There will be a Galaxie in my future.

Last edited by DarylH on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, That's a very great way to do the interior. Just get rid of the tub floor completely. It will make the body fit better to the chassis as well. I need to remember this for my next tub type model.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarylH wrote:
This build is fun to watch and a bit inspiring. I was at a model show Friday and had a Galaxie in my hands
but then I saw that they had the Salvino kits $5 cheaper than anywhere else so I chose an Allison Chevy.
There will be a Galaxie in my future.

You have more self control than me. I would have bailed out of this decision by buying both kits. Enjoy the Salvino kit (Monte Carlo?)
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre, That's a very great way to do the interior. Just get rid of the tub floor completely. It will make the body fit better to the chassis as well. I need to remember this for my next tub type model.

Hey Mark, I'm just sharing the stuff I'm trying out. No guarantee here but stay tuned, we'll see how this experiment turns out.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After assembling the forward legs of the cage, I cut them at the feet, even with lower door panels of the interior tub, all done body upside down.
A few more adjustments including adding the front glass.
I did cut the straps from the one piece glass i.e. just keeping windshield and back glass as separate parts, thus allowing tighter fit of the cage to the roof.
Here's what it looks like

[url
[/url

While there I double checked the chassis mariage to the body by re-measuring the front and rear stance. All good.

[url

At this point the cage sits in position on the chassis (not glued to it) overnight to allow the glued legs to fully cure before I add the rest of the elements to the assembly
I'm satisfied that the chassis and roll cage fit well to the body. My cornerstones are set.

[/url
jbherri2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eye, that color looks spot-on. Looking forward to seeing more!
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I dont even know if I want to tell you this, but I read some where that all the 63 fords by Holman and Moody had pearlized paint. Incuding Fred Lorenzen's white car. I don't even know how to begin to pull that off. Then again, it might not be true. However I watched a you tube video of the 63 Southern 500 and Lorenzen's car did appear to not be a bright white but almost a very light gray white which would explain the pearlized efect. Dont know how to verify this. Maybe another old timer heard the same thing and can back it up. I do believe you are on the right track and the final result will be spectacular.

I think there has been some misunderstading over the tears about some of the paints used on H-M cars in '63 and '64. All of the cars were painted with metallic or pearl paints but there were no special pearl coats applied over non-pearl paint colors. Fred Loresnzen' s cars were pearl white, Larry Frank's was pearl yellow, the car Dr. Craft restored was candy tangerine. Fireballs car began the season painted 56 Lincoln wisteria and was later changed to 55 Ford regency purple, a metallic. I think Ford was trying to make the cars more noticable by using the custom paints.
By 1965 they were pretty much using factpry paints, which I am sure saved some costs. Custom pearls, candy paints and even metallicss can be a chore to touch up and match up.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to switch from interior fab to some of the body work.
Removing the body side trim has been a big challenge...and still is. I'm trying to save it with a few rounds of sand-putty-sand...
Taking on the rear close out panel (above the bumper) I first tried covering up the trim piece in the rear bumper-trim-tail lights piece. Nah!
I decided to build the panel onto the body and trim the bumper and tail lights off the piece. Taping over the bumper to protect it during the cutting phase, then I struck disaster as I pulled off the tape...chrome gone

[url

I had no choice but removing the chrome and figuring out a way to refinish.
This will be a challenge for a brush painter.
Trying out this spare trim piece with Vallejo chrome over black primer.
Still needs work...

[/url
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, I'm sure you'll figure out a good chrome for the bumpers. I ended up using a chrome pen for my Camaro, but the Camaro didnt really have chrome bumpers they were more like a polished aluminum. Its not the chrome pen that everybody else is using. Its actually oil based paint, but it dries pretty hard and is pretty finger print resistant. I will future it as well.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I think there has been some misunderstading over the tears about some of the paints used on H-M cars in '63 and '64. All of the cars were painted with metallic or pearl paints but there were no special pearl coats applied over non-pearl paint colors. Fred Loresnzen' s cars were pearl white, Larry Frank's was pearl yellow, the car Dr. Craft restored was candy tangerine. Fireballs car began the season painted 56 Lincoln wisteria and was later changed to 55 Ford regency purple, a metallic. I think Ford was trying to make the cars more noticable by using the custom paints.
By 1965 they were pretty much using factpry paints, which I am sure saved some costs. Custom pearls, candy paints and even metallicss can be a chore to touch up and match up.

Thanks for clearing that up about Lorenzen's 1963 Ford having pearilized white paint. If I ever get around to building it I will use a Createx pearl white paint I found for it. Just need to experiment with how much thinner to use to get it to flow well enough with a brush.
RCB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of Lorenzen's 64 Ford with the Pearl White paint, but I have not found any definite versions of the 63 with the Pearl paint on it. I visited Holman Moody when they were still in the old airport building and one of the longtime employees said they put a clear pearl coat on Fireballs Regency purple cars to make it glisten more under the sun.
bmartin359

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, if you can get this chrome paint it works great and you can brush it on. They are based out of Spain but I have tried it out and I am very happy with it so far.
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/1429-chrome-paint.html?search_query=Chrome+Paint&results=2
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmartin359 wrote:
Pierre, if you can get this chrome paint it works great and you can brush it on. They are based out of Spain but I have tried it out and I am very happy with it so far.
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/1429-chrome-paint.html?search_query=Chrome+Paint&results=2

Wow, I just watched the video on their site. Unique technique to apply but the result looks very promising.
Thanks for the tip!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I am at with testing of bumper refinishing with a brush.
This sample bumper has received gray primer, then Vallejo Metal Color Chrome which I dry brushed 3 times.
The right half has received a coat of Tamiya smoke
The second picture shows comparison to a previous build with my usual weathering of chromed bumpers.

[url
[/url

I think I have a reasonable if not completely satisfactory solution for salvaging lost chrome.
On the positive side it allows me to sand down the ugly mold part lines which you can't do if you keep the chromed part as is.
Thanks again Martin for the green stuff world chrome metal paint suggestion. I have ordered some for trials before making a final decision.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, that looks great. It's awesome that you can get rid of the mold lines on the chrome bumpers that really look out of place and unrealistic. Looking forward to your studys on that other chrome paint alternative.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your skill. I use the lazy method and use my ever dwindling supply of ModelHaus resin tubs. Bought deep before they closed. Your pic of the rollcage mounted to the floor pans reminds of a photo that I know existed on the old board and probably here. I think it was a Starliner, so your approach is historically correct, except building the cage upside down Very Happy

Seriously though I need to start doing that. I'd waste a lot less.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
I admire your skill. I use the lazy method and use my ever dwindling supply of ModelHaus resin tubs. Bought deep before they closed. Your pic of the rollcage mounted to the floor pans reminds of a photo that I know existed on the old board and probably here. I think it was a Starliner, so your approach is historically correct, except building the cage upside down Very Happy

Seriously though I need to start doing that. I'd waste a lot less.

We've all seen race cars with the cages upside down...problem is that the car always follows the cage. Better wheels down!
Laughing
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received and tested the Green Stuff World Chrome Metal
They say this product is alcohol based formulated for brush painting.
I tested a spare bumper brushing it over black primer...no!
Checked video on their site, says you have to dab it on. They show the technique on a figurine dabbing it with the side of a flat brush.
I tried that on a bumper. Better but I see the flat brush marks.
Ran out of bumpers but I kept plugging at it. For me it seems like a medium round point brush works better.
Load it up and dab dab dab away with the tip. Looks good in my opinion but I doubt a large surface would be doable. A bumper maybe.
Painted 16 hours ago and the paint appears a bit fragile. Maybe more time to cure.

[url[/url]
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love following projects like this!
You are doing awesome work and thanks for sharing.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
I received and tested the Green Stuff World Chrome Metal
They say this product is alcohol based formulated for brush painting.
I tested a spare bumper brushing it over black primer...no!
Checked video on their site, says you have to dab it on. They show the technique on a figurine dabbing it with the side of a flat brush.
I tried that on a bumper. Better but I see the flat brush marks.
Ran out of bumpers but I kept plugging at it. For me it seems like a medium round point brush works better.
Load it up and dab dab dab away with the tip. Looks good in my opinion but I doubt a large surface would be doable. A bumper maybe.
Painted 16 hours ago and the paint appears a bit fragile. Maybe more time to cure.

[url[/url]

Looks really good in the photo. I wonder how it will do with future over it? If its fragile like you say, handling it will dull it out quite a bit.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
I love following projects like this!
You are doing awesome work and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Lionpride. It's the sharing from each others is what makes the hobby enjoyable and less solitary.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on some fab of underwood components starting with oil cooler and filter. Using a variety of Evergreen stuff to carve these components.

[url

Assembled with brackets.

[/url

Mocked up in position under hood

[url[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: