Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1969 Permatex 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: 1969 Permatex 300 Reply with quote

No longer a modified/sportsman race. Just sportsman cars up to a ten year old body style. 1961 Fords were very popular. This was the year Don McTavish was killed (66 Mercury Comet) . Details on Youtube. Not very pleasant to watch...
Model built from a "stock" AMT Ford Fairlane. Referred to as those "skinny"
Fairlanes by NASCAR folk. Not easy to get "period correct" Grand National tires under the wheel wells.

Was a two car race between Tiny Lund and LeeRoy. What appears to be "leftover"Grand National cars from 1966/67...
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!!!!!
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's fantastic. IMHO, one of the finest builds of that body style I've seen.
Unfortunately, that race was marred by the horrible McTavish crash, as you mentioned, which is a shame as it was an otherwise fantastic race.
I doubt that race would be allowed to continue in today's Nascar world, after a crash like that.
hawk22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Posted this one a little over a year ago but complements are always welcome.
I was a LeeRoy Yarbrough fan. Not only won this race but the Daytona 500 the next day.
A big Grand National star at the time. We still considered him as our local driver from Jacksonville. I was in Daytona that weekend for both races...
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sportsmen races show up on youtube from time to time, I've watched the 67 race, pretty interesting stuff. The 69 race you referenced appeared to be a Wide World of Sports highlight film. And yes 61 Fords were popular, some big names in those race too, Goldsmith, Pasch, Roberts just to name a few. That was a race of have and have nots though.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build, thanks for sharing it. Those old Fairlane's made great looking race car, even on the local level.

I remember that race, terrible accident. I was just a kid and remember them breaking in on TV. The announcer said something about young shouldn't watch. Being a young man of seven or eight years old, I watched. I remember standing in the middle of the living watching that horrible crash to this day, I'm 63 now. Sorry for this side track.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: