Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fairlane 1970

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve England

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Fairlane 1970 Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me who used the Fairlane 500 bodystyle in 1970 . Southern motorsports has a new resin out and I was wondering what to build with it. Couldn't find any pics of the Fairlane 500 online so any pucs or help will be appreciated. Thanks Steve
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Pearson drove a blue and gold #17 for Holman-Moody. You can get the decals from Mike's.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's definitely one that's hard-to-find pictures of. I just tried with no success. First to post a picture here wins nothing but bragging rights for tops at searching. That is if you get it right. The 70 torino and fairlanr were basically the same exact car.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. They ran it at Riverside. Most of the other races they used the 69 Torino with the extended nose.

C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Your picture is a shot of Pearson's "Torino Cobra" or Fast Back Torino. Unless I am mistaken, the original question is about "Formal Roofed" Fairlane 500 bodied Torinos (Fomoco made it darned hard to know exactly what to call their intermediate models in 197-1971 for sure).

I have sent some photos to Tom for him to post of Fairlane 500, Formal Roofed GN cars. David Pearson, Bobby Allison, Wendell Scott, James Hylton and Earl Brooks all ran that body style in at least some races. Other also did I suspect.

I no longer maintain a third party hosting site after the screw job that photobucket delivered to its users several years ago.

Hope Tom has some time to put them up.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearson ran a red,white,blue color combo for some races too.
Bill
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Mark, Your picture is a shot of Pearson's "Torino Cobra" or Fast Back Torino. Unless I am mistaken, the original question is about "Formal Roofed" Fairlane 500 bodied Torinos (Fomoco made it darned hard to know exactly what to call their intermediate models in 197-1971 for sure).

I have sent some photos to Tom for him to post of Fairlane 500, Formal Roofed GN cars. David Pearson, Bobby Allison, Wendell Scott, James Hylton and Earl Brooks all ran that body style in at least some races. Other also did I suspect.

I no longer maintain a third party hosting site after the screw job that photobucket delivered to its users several years ago.

Hope Tom has some time to put them up.

Doc, I was hoping to get you involved with this so we could get the real info about these cars. Thanks for chiming in.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Those are some of the shots I sent to Tom. I also have one of a Hylton car, a Ballard car, and of an Earl Brooks car. I will share if someone PMs their e mail address. I also have more detail shots (cockpit/suspension) of the car that Pearson ran at RIR (Top photo) in 71
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent a bunch of "Fairlane" photos to member David Long (and to Tom Mooty). Hope they will get posted here for all to see. Let me know if you have any questions about what you all see.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the history of the Wendell Scott car. I know it was not the car Petty was preparing before switching back to Plymouth. Heard it was a borrowed car for a race or two while his was being repaired.
Dave Vann does the decals for this "forgotten" car if anyone wants to build it.
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Does anyone know the history of the Wendell Scott car. I know it was not the car Petty was preparing before switching back to Plymouth. Heard it was a borrowed car for a race or two while his was being repaired.
Dave Vann does the decals for this "forgotten" car if anyone wants to build it.

Wendell's "Fairlane" had a long and interesting life. It was one of the first half chassis 1967 Fairlanes built by Holman Moody and it won at its very first outting with PJ at the helm...the 67 Motor Trend 500. In 1968 the car was up-bodied by HM and assigned to BP who used it to win the 1968 ARCA title. in 1969 it served as BP's back up chassis. Wendell was given the chassis in 1970 wearing BPs 1969 Torino tin. He raced it until that body aged out under the three year rule and then rebodied the car as a 71 Fairlane. The car performed its last bit of service to Wendell as one of two movie cars in the film Greased Lightning. My late friend Rich Turner found and bought the chassis in the late 80 still in Wendell's tin. He opted to restore the car back to BP configuration.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:

That last car was the ex-#12 Coke car. It was reskinned as a Cyclone on the west Coast and became this car:

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Craft and (I think) David Long passed along some additional photos. Extra info where known. Of course, the #12 Coke car started out as the Pearson #17 in its various paint jobs.

This car still exists, restored back to (sort of) Benny Parsons ARCA championship livery:

[img][/imghttps://media.fotki.com/2v2ekTLfdxvk5f.jpg[/img]

JAC, are those door bars indicative of a possible earlier chassis?

Oil Tank:

Walter Ballard's car before it was crashed with Buddy Baker at Daytona. New H-M build with no Pearson history when it was bought:

I don't have a clue. Possibly Wendell Scott's car right after it was reskinned?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.......reminds me of the old days of the forum!
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom! Thanks for posting!

The red un-lettered car is Earl Brooks' #26 HM Torino just after it was up bodied from 1969 tin. Pretty sure I sent a photo of that car, as raced, too. Interestingly, that car wound up in Wendell Scott #34 livery as the second of two Greased Lightning movie cars. It was later restored to faux David Pearson trim by a fellow who was told that is what the car was. The car now sits for sale in Scotts Valley CA for sale...as a real deal Pearson ride. It is not.

One final note. Look closely at the hood of the Pearson car at Riverside. You can just see the plug that closed the hood scoop opening. Based on other shots I have, it appears that HM at least tested the car with a factory shaker scoop at Daytona preseason.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr. Craft, you always have amazing photos and information. I appreciate your willingness to share all you have.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5HM wrote:
Tom! Thanks for posting!

The red un-lettered car is Earl Brooks' #26 HM Torino just after it was up bodied from 1969 tin. Pretty sure I sent a photo of that car, as raced, too. Interestingly, that car wound up in Wendell Scott #34 livery as the second of two Greased Lightning movie cars. It was later restored to faux David Pearson trim by a fellow who was told that is what the car was. The car now sits for sale in Scotts Valley CA for sale...as a real deal Pearson ride. It is not.

One final note. Look closely at the hood of the Pearson car at Riverside. You can just see the plug that closed the hood scoop opening. Based on other shots I have, it appears that HM at least tested the car with a factory shaker scoop at Daytona preseason.

I never saw the Brooks car in Poppy Red, if that's what it is and not the darker red I remember. Unless it's just the lighting and photo processing. That's why I didn't recognize it.

I also noticed the plugged shaker hole in the underhood photo, I think I included it but there were several similar photos.
Steve England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Fairlane 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied this is exactly what I needed. Thanks to Doc Craft especially. Doc or anyone else was that Pearson car you had all the interior pics solid blue all over. Thanks again fellows . Steve
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fairlane 1970 Reply with quote

Steve England wrote:
Thanks to all who replied this is exactly what I needed. Thanks to Doc Craft especially. Doc or anyone else was that Pearson car you had all the interior pics solid blue all over. Thanks again fellows . Steve

Steve, The Pearson car appears to be black spray bomb to my eye. The aluminum "door panels" are natural. The dash is black with black crinkle paint on the glove box door and instrument panel. The cage and floors are also black. The Asbestos floor cover is gray. The seat appears also to be black (and is NOT a Banjo seat, BTW). The pleated door upholstery is also black. The side bolsters on the seat are racer's tape over roll cage rubber insulation.
Good luck on your build. Glad the photos helped.
Steve England

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Fairlane 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks Doc for the help. One more question is the exterior all blue or is it a two tone blue and gold. The color photo looks all blue but I can't see the hood and deck lid to tell the color.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interior shots that Tom M. posted show a very interesting oil tank in the back. Looks like an end table for somebody's couch but made in metal instead of wood. Thank you, Doc and Tom M., for getting involved in this thread. Answered a lot of questions we had about the Fords of that time frame.
C5HM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
The interior shots that Tom M. posted show a very interesting oil tank in the back. Looks like an end table for somebody's couch but made in metal instead of wood. Thank you, Doc and Tom M., for getting involved in this thread. Answered a lot of questions we had about the Fords of that time frame.

Yep, that was the HM style dry sump oil reservoir. Mopar cars mounted their own version of the tank under the hood just ahead of the driver's feet.
C5HM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fairlane 1970 Reply with quote

Steve England wrote:
Thanks Doc for the help. One more question is the exterior all blue or is it a two tone blue and gold. The color photo looks all blue but I can't see the hood and deck lid to tell the color.

Steve, Look at the second shot at the top of this thread. That is the same car as in the B&W shots Tom Posted. All were taken at Riverside in 71. That specific car appears to have been all Acapulco Blue with no gold high lights or panels. Not sure if it carried gold at any other venue...or if it even race at any other venue. Not too many Fairlane 500s were campaigned by HM in any livery. Fomoco had bolted racing by then. So HM may have been saving $$$ on paint schemes. The gold paint on my recently restored Bobby Allison 68 HM Torino sure cost more than the white also applied to the car.
Pearson ran an all blue 1969 Mercury (with gold mylar numbers) at the next race in 1971...the qualifier for the D500. He won that event in another apparently one time at the wheel deal (he of course, also drove the car in the D500, too). Not long after that he left HM for an abortive stint in a Pontiac.

One final note, Later that year, Walter Ballard went to HM to see how much it would cost to install a roll cage in a home built car he was contemplating. Hutch (Still HM shop foreman) told Ballard he could have the blue and gold Fairlane 500 roller sitting in the back lot for the same price as the cage, so Ballard did the deal. He applied his white #30 numbers and took the car to Daytona (where it was destroyed in spectacular fashion btw). You can see that car above. Not sure if that means Pearson ran the car in blue and gold at some point in 71, or if HM simply prepped the car in those colors.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one didn't show up in Tom's post above (there was an extra "img" in the code):

Tom M. wrote:

bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black-and-white shots are awesome. The work of a proper pro photog with an eye for detail. After such great success with the H&M #17 team, it's sad to see Pearson finish, as the horse-racing crowd would say, 'up the track' in these cars.

Saddest part for modellers is that they're not bad looking cars. Especially that blue, gold and white Cobra. Just dogs that wouldn't hunt.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if these are all GN or not, but here are some more 1970-71 Fords. I honestly don't know what the difference is in the models.

Most if not all of these images were saved off of this message board over the years.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy, is that Tom Pistone in the 59? I never knew he was still racing at that time, if it is.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Hurtubise driving, Pistone owned.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Jim Hurtubise driving, Pistone owned.

Thanks, Spooker. I learned something new today.
catpack68

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Wendell’s #34 Fairlane have a grille like this? I have never seen a clear picture of the front of his car.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catpack68 wrote:

Did Wendell’s #34 Fairlane have a grille like this? I have never seen a clear picture of the front of his car.

Dr. Craft sent these photos to me to post. The grille looks like the hidden headlight grille commonly found on the '70 Torino GT. I'm not a Ford expert but I think it was also offered on the formal roof body in a package called Torino Brougham.

Here's a clear image of the factory installation, with a photo of the individual pieces. If it is indeed the factory hidden headlight grille then at the very least Wendell removed the badge from the center, heavily screened over the center opening, and probably replaced the molded headlight doors with flat sheetmetal.

catpack68

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures and info Tom👍
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
[I'm not a Ford expert but I think it was also offered on the formal roof body in a package called Torino Brougham.

Here it is:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: