Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groovy gardening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Groovy gardening Reply with quote

Just a few weeks left in the gardening season and wondering who else digs getting their hands dirty in the back 40.

I'm an avid tomato gardener, enjoying the wonderful Heirloom strains which produce tomatoes of incredible variety - purple, orange, yellow and green zebra colours. Flavours are off the chart. You don't often get that at the local supermarket. With frost on the horizon within the next month, time to get in all the ripened fruit to cook pasta sauces and get ready to make jars of green tomato relish with the unripened ones.

Also enjoy raising peppers - hot and sweet - zucchini, cucumbers and green onions. Plus kale, purple Romaine and Swiss chard lettuces. There's a fresh grown salad out back every night. Tried yellow beans, onions and radishes and saw indifferent results.

And - dare I say it - cannibis. It's been legal up here in Canadia to grow our own for a few years now. Four plants max per residence. Had a fine crop last year from two plants of the sativa strain, Green Crack, and two of the Hindu Kush indica. Gave most of it away to family and friends.

Indica's too strong for me. Sativa is lighter, brighter and more cerebral. Nice and mellow. I can actually work productively on that. Lets me concentrate on details, whether photo editing, model building or hitting golf balls. Certainly relieves aches and pains nicely.

The buds are blooming and booming on this year's crop - two or three weeks more before harvesting.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is the big gardener here (upstate NY, the REAL upstate), I just do the grunt work (and eat the stuff!). We had good luck this year with beets (red & golden), hot peppers (several varieties) went nuts, tomatoes were so-so, potatoes so-so, squash are making a late surge as usual, onions came pretty well, garlic was great, swiss chard still going strong, a few green beans and carrots. No luck AGAIN with bell peppers, can't figure them out. Oh yeah, and a bumper crop of horseradish, will harvest and grind that after the first frost.

Last edited by spooker on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grew tomatoes, cucumbers, hot peppers and sage this year.
Bill
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'l pass on the pot but the description of your tomatoes is so mouthwatering!
Do not jinx it by talking about the first freeze. We must resist as long as possible in the interest of extending the golf season.
Hoping to repeat last year's season ending Nov 20th in Montreal before resuming model building.
Cool
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
My wife is the big gardener here (upstate NY, the REAL upstate), I just do the grunt work (and eat the stuff!). We had good luck this year with beets (red & golden), hot peppers (several varieties) went nuts, tomatoes were so-so, potatoes so-so, squash are making a late surge as usual, onions came pretty well, garlic was great, swiss chard still going strong, a few green beans and carrots. No luck AGAIN with bell peppers, can't figure them out. Oh yeah, and a bumper crop of horseradish, will harvest and grind that after the first frost.

We built a 3'x4' box out of cedar 1x6" boards and 2x2" uprights. Three rows of the 1x6" boards to start and filled it with black earth.

I enjoy purple potatoes but found the local grocery stores products were too expensive. So, bought eight small ones back in the spring. Cut them into quarters, poked them with toothpicks to support them and set them in jars filled with water. They soon sprouted roots and then stems and leaves.

Once May arrived, transplanted them to the cedar box. They took off at once. Each month, I had to add a couple of bags of black earth to keep the soil levels just under the leaves, while adding new 1x6" boards all around the box.

Looking forward to harvesting them in a couple of weeks and serving purple fries with Thanksgiving turkey. And Christmas dinner as well.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
I'l pass on the pot but the description of your tomatoes is so mouthwatering!
Do not jinx it by talking about the first freeze. We must resist as long as possible in the interest of extending the golf season.
Hoping to repeat last year's season ending Nov 20th in Montreal before resuming model building.
Cool

Nothing like cheating the frosty weather with a late fall round of golf. We had the good fortune to get in 12 holes on Dec. 11 a while back just north of Toronto. First hole was a dogleg and there was a skin of ice on the pond in front of the green.

Bounced it off the ice and onto or near the green with our drives. Felt like PGA pros.

Highly recommend growing some of the Heirloom varieties of tomatoes. They're colourful, hardy and so flavourful. You can buy the usual red ones at the supermarkets but growing these distinctive varieties is special treat.
TonyK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to grow some garden stuff but quit a few years ago. I like tomatoes but my wife doesn't so I couldn't eat enough as they were so productive. Enjoyed peas but seemed if you missed one day watering they would dry up.

My brother-in-law has been growing pot for years and I only just recently learned there are male and female plants. I think he gets rid of the male plants?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TonyK"]Used to grow some garden stuff but quit a few years ago. I like tomatoes but my wife doesn't so I couldn't eat enough as they were so productive. Enjoyed peas but seemed if you missed one day watering they would dry up. "
I Love fresh sweet peas from the garden. Never realized how much work goes into them, and how many plants are needed just to produce a few handfuls. Sadly, our extreme heat this summer in the Great Grey Northwest (100+ for 5 days ) killed the sweet peas. Sad We will certainly re-plant next season.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as fall rolls on and the weather begins to get nippy here in the Great White Norf, the remaining tomatoes that haven't matured or changed colour are about to be plucked and used for my wife's family's French Canadian green tomato relish recipe.

Great way to use up what's left on the plants and provide a nippy, spicey relish for dishes over the coming winter months. Plenty of hot and sweet peppers to mix in as well.

Fun to watch the utterly defiant kale plants thrive in the cooler weather. Absolutely thrusting upward as the temps cool down. Amazing plant and great eating (kale Caeser salads).

This week I'll be harvesting the purple potatoes grown in the 4' x 3' potato box. Not sure how many I'll get but the leaves and vines are sprawling all around the box and over the neighbouring plants. This will be the start of an ongoing project in the garden.

The top halves of the tall and abundantly budded cannabis plants have been clipped and sent to the garden shed for drying. The bottom halves have been left to continue growing and blooming and are doing so with ennn-thuuusiasm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: