Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interior color of Marty Robbins 1971 Dodge Charger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: interior color of Marty Robbins 1971 Dodge Charger? Reply with quote

Anyone know the color or have pictures of Marty Robbins 1971 Dodge Charger interior? Thanks
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to the 1971 Dodge he bought from Bobby Allison (Riverside and Houston winner), the cage looks black from this photo, and the interior appears to be a neutral color like black or dark gray:

https://www.al.com/resizer/75Df1_P50LfJdqFqu0ULKKN1cMg=/1280x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/expo.advance.net/img/c86611f5d6/width2048/0cd_nascardriverbobbyallisonseatedinhisracecaradah1971.jpeg
GAS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That is what I will use. What about the Charger with Marty Robbins on the side panel and Bobby Allison Racing sticker on the C pillar. Thanks
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAS wrote:
Thank you. That is what I will use. What about the Charger with Marty Robbins on the side panel and Bobby Allison Racing sticker on the C pillar. Thanks

It's generally agreed that they are the same car, Bobby sold it to Marty during the 1971 season.

The lighting in this picture from the Ontario race in 1972 shows the color of the rear firewalls on many of the cars. Marty's car at far right edge of the photo, in the back looks to have a gray rear firewall:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/miller-500-nascar-ontario-motor-speedway-the-race-field-stacks-up-for-picture-id165569700?s=2048x2048

For comparison, you can see the Petty blue interior & roll cage on Baker's #11 Dodge, and the body-color red interior on Isaac's #71 Dodge (behind Allison's #12 Chevy).
GAS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AndyS. That is the best shot of the interior for this car that I have seen. Gray is what I will use and black for the roll bars.
R.J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the whole project is a bust without the duct taped air hose on the dash!! 😁
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Charger would have been Red interior when Bobby owned it with Coke colors and that would have really clashed with the Panther Pink and and Chartreuse, my guess is they just flat blacked over all the Red when Marty got the car, don't know for sure just a guess.. The later Robbins Chargers were Panther pink interior like the outside.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
The Charger would have been Red interior when Bobby owned it with Coke colors and that would have really clashed with the Panther Pink and and Chartreuse, my guess is they just flat blacked over all the Red when Marty got the car, don't know for sure just a guess.. The later Robbins Chargers were Panther pink interior like the outside.

That was my guess too - When Allison raced the car, it had the Coke-red interior/rear firewall. Assuming that's the car he sold to Marty Robbins, they must have repainted the interior black, or more likely, gray, since it's clearly not red anymore in any of the photos.
BW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These may help:

[img]

Looks like gray splatter paint with black bars. Don't know about front hoop.
-Bobby
Shepard327

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: marty Reply with quote

I don't remember who maintained Marty's cars, but one race Marty told him to set it up just like everybody elses car for qualifying. Marty ran his qualifying laps and when he pulled into the garage told him "put it back to the way it was!!!" Marty and Bobby got into a lot of shenanigans together out on the road. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: