Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petty 71-72 color questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racing1970

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Petty 71-72 color questions Reply with quote

Hiya, new to the forum and getting back into building NASCAR models; starting with a Petty built Charger from 1972 with the new 71-72 Salvinos JR kit - some questions on the instruction color call outs I was hoping to confirm?

-the color for the engine block is called out as "equipment blue" - is this accurate for the time period? If so, does someone have a paint match? Googled some but I am seeing mostly orange Hemis

-the driveshaft color is called out as yellow - is that accurate? Couldn't find any underside pics of 71/72 Petty cars to confirm one way or the other (any pics out there of the bottom of one of these cars?)

Thanks!
Aero426

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equipment Blue aka Petty Parts Blue was used for many mechanical components during this time. It would be accurate for an engine block and heads as well as suspension parts, the rear axle and the wheels. It's a dark non-metallic blue. I just heard Kyle Petty refer to it as dark Ford blue ona podcast. That would be dark Ford blue engine paint.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Baker Charger thread in this forum, there was a link to this album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157623244376995/with/4336944080/

The equipment blue referred to must be the same blue that you can see on the wheels of the Charger? They look a little darker than the wheels I've seen in pics of the earlier Petty cars, so I'm not sure.

10 - Petty Enterprises May 22, 1972 by scott_9445, on Flickr

In that same album is a pic of a Hemi sitting on the floor with the block and trans painted a lighter blue, but then the fan is a darker blue which looks closer to the Ford blue that Aero426 is referring to.

05 - Petty Enterprises May 22, 1972 by scott_9445, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this helps, or if it just adds more confusion...
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further muddy the topic, the National 500 pics from October 8, 1972 show wheels which appear to be the lighter "Petty blue" that the body is painted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157603255135097

Charlotte95 by scott_9445, on Flickr

As is typical, the car's appearance varied from race to race so you almost have to pick a particular race to be 100% accurate. It's all up to how picky you want to be - I tend to just make sure the general appearance is correct and don't get too caught up on the fine details except the ones which are important to me, that I will notice every time I look at it (lol).
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Martinsville Sep 24 1972 race:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157602357398633

The Plymouth also ran lighter blue wheels.

Mville063 by scott_9445, on Flickr

Mville073 by scott_9445, on Flickr

Underside shot of another car (Petty's was blue at the bottom year) - can't see a yellow driveshaft, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. FWIW, years ago, the short track I ran on required the driveshaft to be painted white in case it came out on the track, so it could be easily seen...

Mville066 by scott_9445, on Flickr
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville 420 Aug 26 1972

https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157601263650163

Looks like the Plymouth was running a wedge motor? I'm assuming the "equipment blue" was the darker blue on the master cylinder and hood hinge?

Nashville060 by scott_9445, on Flickr

Can't quite see the colour of the block in this pic:

Nashville043 by scott_9445, on Flickr
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last pic shows a rear brake drum on the front, with a spacer. Interesting!

Details vary race to race. I agree, just pick one and don't sweat it.

In all these pics, the "red" on the body doesn't look fluorescent "day-glo".

It's well known that old film had trouble capturing that color correctly.
So many variables between what was seen that day in person and what we see on the phone or PC monitor today.

Good thing I remember my days at MIS in the 70s! The Petty car was easily seen anywhere on the track, especially on cloudy days. Cool
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recall seeing one or two pics that show the day-glo red as bright as it should be, and IIRC they were taken on bright sunny days. I'm imagining that shutter speed, F-stop setting and even film speed would have had an effect back in the old days before digital cameras and 'auto' settings. And even then the photographer would have no idea how the photo came out until it was developed later on.

One other detail I've noticed between the pics in the above posts and the Salvino Chargers is that the slot wheels are different. The slots in the kit wheels seem longer and narrower than the actual items, so if that detail is important to you (it is to me) you'll probably have to go aftermarket (IIRC, PPP had a good set of 1970s slot wheels, but I'd have to look again to be sure).
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of the day-glo red (sorry for the slight derail), I assume the #11 Charger in its STP colours was painted day-glo as well? It seems to come off the same as the red on the Petty car in the photos.

21 - Petty Enterprises May 22, 1972 by scott_9445, on Flickr

15 - Petty Enterprises May 22, 1972 by scott_9445, on Flickr

I recently bought the Salvino's '71/'72 Charger from Mike's with the #11 decal set and have been trying to decide whether I'd build the white version with the red numbers (and Dodge sponsorship), or the red STP version...
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo links. Interesting to see The Wood Brothers fielding a second Mercury for A.J. Foyt,Jr., with their secondary car number #41 Possibly one of the last uses of that number by that team ??? .
Racing1970

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thank you for all of the great photo refs - those are just amazing pics and such high resolution!

As far as the colors for the 1972 cars, I had purchased what MCW Finishes have listed as '72 red 2026 in their reference paint guide - not sure that is correct as they also list STP as #2011 red (below). I will say the paint in the bottle looks to be a very bright red but not daygo. I will probably still go with it if I do Baker's 1972 ride...

Petty (non-STP) – 2062 blue (’72 red – 2026),
STP – 2010 bl, *#2011 rd, #2151 sil (whls.2072)
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing1970 wrote:
Wow - thank you for all of the great photo refs - those are just amazing pics and such high resolution!

As far as the colors for the 1972 cars, I had purchased what MCW Finishes have listed as '72 red 2026 in their reference paint guide - not sure that is correct as they also list STP as #2011 red (below). I will say the paint in the bottle looks to be a very bright red but not daygo. I will probably still go with it if I do Baker's 1972 ride...

Back when Dave Dodge started MCW he did a lot of eyeball matching of race cars from old photos. Having seen both cars in person in '72 I can state with 100% certainty that they were indeed neon, the same as the later STP cars. Granatelli provided the paint codes, it's the same as what Andy ran on the STP Indy cars. I was also present at Indy in '69 when Mario won in the STP car, it is the same neon red. For what it's worth, the blue didn't change either.

I got to know Dave pretty well and when I was still doing artwork for screen printed decals I would always pass along my recommendations for the colors for any new sheet I did so that he could include it in his list.
Racing1970

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Racing1970 wrote:

Back when Dave Dodge started MCW he did a lot of eyeball matching of race cars from old photos. Having seen both cars in person in '72 I can state with 100% certainty that they were indeed neon, the same as the later STP cars. Granatelli provided the paint codes, it's the same as what Andy ran on the STP Indy cars. I was also present at Indy in '69 when Mario won in the STP car, it is the same neon red. For what it's worth, the blue didn't change either.

I got to know Dave pretty well and when I was still doing artwork for screen printed decals I would always pass along my recommendations for the colors for any new sheet I did so that he could include it in his list.

That is good info - thanks! I will probably go ahead and get the STP paints he lists then - if im gonna do it might as well be the right color Smile
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Tom!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 sent me a photo that we agree is just about as close to accurate as an early '70s color print can be, for both the blue and the neon. It might not be perfect but if you weren't there during that time it's as close to getting the feel for the colors as possible.

Shepard327

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if Richard hadn't ripped out that page of the STP contract and did paint his cars all STP Red??????? Shocked
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STP psychedelic flourscent colour was a trendy, sponsor-related thing in NASCAR racing.

Petty blue will be an eternal element of NASCAR racing.
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shepard327 wrote:
what if Richard hadn't ripped out that page of the STP contract and did paint his cars all STP Red??????? Shocked

It would be easier for modelers to replicate?? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: