Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The resin fairy visited my house today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: The resin fairy visited my house today Reply with quote

I'll let the casters post their info but this one is hot off the mold. It's not only the best Disco Bird that's ever been cast for NASCAR, it isn't even close between this and second best. It has the slightly drooping nose, correct fender flares for the most popular versions, bumpers pulled in tight, and the rockers flared. The rocker flare might be a little extreme for the '78 Daytona 500 winner but we talked about it and the later cars grew a bigger flare and it's easier to take it down than to build it up.

This one did pick up a very slight twist in shipping but it's not warped or bent just slightly twisted (I can relate...) and it will be a simple fix under very warm tap water. The casting flash is very thin and should wipe off with the flat of an X-Acto blade for the most part.

An AMT Thunderbird chassis with the usual stretch at the firewall and a bit of massaging/narrowing of the rear wheelwells and trunk floor behind the wheelwells should drop in. I need to determine if the cage needs to come forward any but it shouldn't be an issue. No glass, but clear sheet styrene should be easy to fit.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cleaning up the dinner dishes I got in the kitchen sink with hot tap water and got the twist out. I removed most of the casting flash when I was done, gave it one last fine tune under the water tap, and now I'll let it rest on a flat surface for a day or so to see if it needs anymore tweaking. I think it looks great!

Still has water droplets on it...

gks1964

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, looks like a lot of work and love needs to be put into this one. But i'm sure Tom, that you can get her done.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grail Cup car. Now that we have what looks like a good body.....maybe Salvinos will kit it!!!
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew how to upload photos, I have a MCW 77 T Bird, very nice compared to what is pictured here, sorry, it looks pretty rough. But I understand if this is all there is.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough? Goodness no, this is great compared to a lot of resins. A little cleanup, a coat of filler primer, and it's good to go. You want to talk rough, the old JNJ casting of a '74 Monte Carlo I built for the Atlanta Speedway Project 20 years ago was rough.
nolansims1

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Landau strip Reply with quote

I never noticed the landau strip over the top on those cars.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Landau strip Reply with quote

nolansims1 wrote:
I never noticed the landau strip over the top on those cars.

Yeah that was actually stamped into the sheetmetal. If you take a close look at some of the Bud Moore pictures you can see it - you'll see a little jump in the roof striping.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
My grail Cup car. Now that we have what looks like a good body.....maybe Salvinos will kit it!!!

It's probably on their list, but their plate is full with their licensees (Petty/Chrysler, Hendrick/Reiner Racing/Junior Johnson (estate)/NASCAR Etc.)
they are working on getting the Ford license.
But I imagine when people keep asking about Javelin's / the Modified and the Ford, its as annoying to them as the back seat kids asking
"Are we there yet?, are we there yet?, are we there yet?"
Give them time, have patience everyone we built models, patience is required
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a decent Javelin ASA body that needs cast. If I do not get it cast.....gonna just build it. Fits on the R2 Short Track chassis.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've never dealt with resin but it looks like quite a challenge. I hope you will do a wip of this project as a resin tutorial for us beginners!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: