Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gold wheels tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubroq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Gold wheels tips? Reply with quote

I'm just recenlty getting into Nascar kits and I'm currently working on the Hut Stricklin Heinz 57 Stock Car+ kit and I'm wondering what seems to be the best color match/technique for getting a good match on the gold wheel color? I'm assuming I'm going to have to strip the chrome and repaint a metalizer?
67chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Gold Wheels Reply with quote

If you have a air brush Tamiya clear yellow sprayed on the chrome wheel you will get a good looking gold wheel.
Dubroq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Wheels Reply with quote

67chevelle wrote:
If you have a air brush Tamiya clear yellow sprayed on the chrome wheel you will get a good looking gold wheel.

That sounds like a plan. Super thin coats sprayed at a very low pressure to ensure adhesion?
scooter64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short Cuts Gold...

on primed Revell wheel...(probably could use a new coat since they have been handled a bit)

shot on top of an old Mono chrome 5 hole...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look exactly like what I'm looking for. That's an awesome look!
scatpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just use cheap generic gold spray paint. Looks great to me, especially on the older models (70s-80's).
Bill Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here did Bobby's '83 Miller Buick with the gold wheels and they were perfect, but the info was lost when the Russians posted fake NASCAR news on the site and took it down.
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Wood wrote:
Someone here did Bobby's '83 Miller Buick with the gold wheels and they were perfect, but the info was lost when the Russians posted fake NASCAR news on the site and took it down.

Darn those commies!
JCee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time reader, first time poster

Here is one of my older builds. For this one I just used the cheap small bottle of regular Testors enamel thinned and shot through an air brush. The wheels came out good, but the glosscoat on the body caused some pretty bad silvering on the decals. I may have to strip and redo it one of these days.

"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold wheels tips? Reply with quote

Dubroq wrote:
I'm just recenlty getting into Nascar kits and I'm currently working on the Hut Stricklin Heinz 57 Stock Car+ kit and I'm wondering what seems to be the best color match/technique for getting a good match on the gold wheel color? I'm assuming I'm going to have to strip the chrome and repaint a metalizer?

There are different kinds of gold wheels. I have used the clear Tamiya yellow on aluminum wheels, and got the gold color I was looking for, also over chrome plated plastic wheels to get the color I was looking for. I've also used gold enamel paint on chrome plated, and chrome stripped wheels for the color I was looking for, both brushed, and spray painted, to get the color I was looking for. Try all methods suggested by fellow members here on this post, on a scrap piece of chrome plated plastic to see which one suits what YOU are looking for. Let us know what worked best for YOU.
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Bill Wood wrote:

Darn those commies!

I did a replica of Bobby's '83 Miller High Life Buick .....

This is just Testors Gold enamel, thinned a little, and shot through my Paasche airbrush at 15 pounds of pressure onto the stripped chrome wheels (white plastic) ..... hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: