Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brush paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Brush paint Reply with quote

What brand of brush paint do you use?

I assume the common answer is Testors, but I find that the blacks get gummy quickly. I’ve also had issue with the pigment separating in steel and it’s very difficult to get it stirred back together. Finally it seems aluminum stays tacky forever. I’ve tried both regular bottles and Model Master with no discernible difference between the two.

In short, I’m just looking for a better alternative...
jpaul7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tamiya bottle paint...love it
Irish Murphy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for acrylics or enamel? I use acrylics 90% of the time and mostly use Tamiya. The one thing they need though if your doing a larger part or big area to brush is put some paint on your pallet and add a drop of their retarder to it. Otherwise it will dry too quickly and cause gumming issues. For metallics I like to use AK Interactive, Mig and Vallejo. They have a large selection of steels and aluminum and brush excellent right out of the bottle.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Model Master enamel for 90% of what I do. I have a jar of BB's and when I get a new bottle of paint I drop 2 or 3 BB's in the jar which helps with shake mixing. I also will put a few drop of thinner in the bottle if it gets a little gummy.

I read that BB trick some years ago and it really does help.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish Murphy wrote:
Are you looking for acrylics or enamel? I use acrylics 90% of the time and mostly use Tamiya. The one thing they need though if your doing a larger part or big area to brush is put some paint on your pallet and add a drop of their retarder to it. Otherwise it will dry too quickly and cause gumming issues. For metallics I like to use AK Interactive, Mig and Vallejo. They have a large selection of steels and aluminum and brush excellent right out of the bottle.

Agree on Tamiya acrylic. I prime first. Brushes on nicely over primer.
Wedge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually both. MM and Tamiya. Just gotta shake them and use them. Dont let them sit around too long.

Wade
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that means I'm most likely going to have to toss the paint I bought over 10 years ago.... Sad
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main go to brush paint is Tamiya and Mr Hobby, I have a couple of bottles of Tamiya's newest paint on order, its lacquer based brush paint.

What Tamiya is doing is putting their spray paints in bottles to for brush painting.

I love Model Masters Metalizer brand, for both brush paint and A/B, great stuff.
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dennis O"] I have a jar of BB's and when I get a new bottle of paint I drop 2 or 3 BB's in the jar which helps with shake mixing. I also will put a few drop of thinner in the bottle if it gets a little gummy.

100% agree with this, I've been doing this for years, I have bottles of Testors that I've had for 5-6 years and they're still as good as new(although I use about 10 BB's). Also, be aware, some thinners don't play as well as others with Testors paints.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Guess that means I'm most likely going to have to toss the paint I bought over 10 years ago.... Sad

I actually have some Testors enamels that are well over 15 years old and still good!
I think a lot of the issues are due to formula changes due to the tree huggers getting to dictate what we get to use in the way of paints.
Dubroq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also paint miniatures for D&D and table top gaming, so for some smaller details I use Reaper, Vallejo, P3 and some others. They're all acrylic and designed to go on super thin with multiple coats, so it helps do subtle things and not lose any detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: