Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nascar driver that disappeared

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Nascar driver that disappeared Reply with quote

I seem to remember a Nascar driver back in the late 60s or 70s who just up and disappeared. I'm thinking there was a connection to some underhand dealings type. This happen or have I lost my mind.
northstar55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A car owner, Mario Ross1 maybe
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You referring to L.W. Wright at the Winston 500 years ago? He conned his way into the race using phony checks and then magically disappeared.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Pronger ran selected beach races as well as some other NASCAR races in early to mid 50s a story I read said one of the cars an Olds run in a stock only race that he won was found to be stolen by NASCAR and disqualified. It was said he was about to turn states evidence in the largest Auto Theft ring in the mid-west but a few days before the meeting he went to lunch at a place he always went for lunch ate his meal talked with the staff, walked out and was never seen again. His car was found still in the parking lot. A badly decomposed body was found several years later in a shallow grave where a new subdivision was being built, Bob was 6ft 7in and the body matched. His brother also involved in the ring refused to ID the body he was also killed by a shotgun blast anwsering his front door about a year later (I think it may have been longer then that I am sure)
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Rossi was who I was thinking of. Thanks.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Rossi moved to Fla. and was building marine engines that possibly ended up with individuals using them for nefarious purposes.
I believe Rossi's story may well parallel that of Don Aronow (sp?) of Cigarette Boat fame.

John
Hondo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossi built engines for Gary Balough's late model cars in the late '70s & early '80s. He "disappeared" in 1983.
We all know about Balough's troubles. Balough's book sheds a bit of light on this.

http://mariorossi22.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: