Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junk Yard Special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Junk Yard Special Reply with quote

Its 1957. After watching the races from his perch in a pine tree at the Jacksonville Speedway, 19 year old LeeRoy Yarbrough was ready to give it a try. Had (free) access to a local salvage yard, and this is what he came up with. Got the maxium horsepower out of that little flathead engine (he was a very good mechanic) and actually won his first time out. I think he picked "0" as the car number as that represented the amount of cash he had
invested in this car.
Anyway the rest is history until his untimely (but not surprising) death Dec. 7, 1984...

Took a few liberties with the model. Really it should be painted yellow, black & rust !!!
It's a Revell 1940 Ford (has nice detail) and a rattlecan paint job. The #0 is done with a
red sharpie.

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Model I love the history you provided with it... I will build my own copy of this.... Great Model Thanks For Building it and Thanks for Posting it for all to see.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent replica. Always pulled for Lee Roy.
Racer14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do a great job with these Lee Roy builds. Keep them coming!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool build!!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!
..applause ..applause ..applause ..applause
hawk22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
Great Model I love the history you provided with it... I will build my own copy of this.... Great Model Thanks For Building it and Thanks for Posting it for all to see.

All of these Leeroy models have been done for a friend in Florida who was a personal friend of Leeroy’s & his family. Leeroy has a sister & a brother still living in Jacksonville.
Sometimes our memory is not as realistic as the photos that turn up years later. Most of the models are built with a combination of both while trying to keep the cost down (done around 25 of theses in 10 months!!!)
But I expect the “0” did look nice it’s first time out & the photo was probably toward the end of its racing life as Leeroy proved himself and got rides in top modifies of the era...

I was also a big fan of Leeroy’s & saw him race when he was an unknown & followed his career to the end...
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been liking all these builds of Lee Roy in his early racing career.
Folkowed his NASCAR career in the pages of Stock Car Racing magazine, especially his stellar year in 1969...Have always wondered what happened to his wife, Gloria(?) and their son....
hawk22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Have been liking all these builds of Lee Roy in his early racing career.
Have always wondered what happened to his wife, Gloria(?) and their son....

Gloria was Jacksonville white trash. After splitting with Leeroy she became a total alcoholic. But she was popular with the guys during Leeroy’s best years. Referred to as “sweet thing”...
There son died young, some form of cancer as I recall. I was told the details but can’t remember them to say much more. Was never involved in racing as far as I know. 2003 at age 36.

Sad ending for Leeroy & his family.
But his sister Evelyn is well, a good friend of my friend in Jacksonville.
Brother Eldon, who was a good driver in modified & sportsman cars, is still a Jacksonville resident. But seldom communicates with anyone after the death of his wife.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, hawk22
Horrorshow

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool build and a history lesson too. Those old race cars are so cool. Thanks for sending me to this link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: