Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drilling out rim holes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marlonm33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Drilling out rim holes? Reply with quote

Hey guys, was just wondering if you have any tips or tricks for drilling out holes in rims. I have a set of 5 hole 1980s rims I want to open up but i'm on the nervous side right now. How do you guys do it?
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post a pic from my phone, but instead of drilling, turn the rim over and start removing material from the back until the holes open up. Don't remove anything from the center raised area, just around the perimeter. A moto tool would be helpful, then finish up with a coarse sanding stick when you get close. Practice on an old rim first. Maybe someone else has another way.

Tom
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip i can give you is to buy some resin ones from Mike’s.
marlonm33

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, That is a good idea! I do have an extra set that I am replacing so that will be a good place to start practicing. 18degrees unfortunately Mikes is sold out of the 5 holes at the moment but I do look forward to getting some from him. Thanks for the replies guys.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually stumbled onto Tom's method by accident and it works quite well. I was trying to narrow up the track width on a Mono Buick to get the wheels tucked in by taking material off the back of the wheel and then sand off the barrel portion of the wheel-back piece. This leaves the wheel-back a flat disc about the size of a penny that can be pushed thru the tire and glued directly to the back of the wheel. You can narrow Mono track width's up to 1/2" using this method. Just remember to paint the center of the wheel-back disc a contrasting color to your wheels (dark silver for black wheels, black for chrome, etc.). Since I'm not saving the center section, I just set the wheel on a piece of 180 grit taped flat to a board and go to town. After the holes have started to appear and are just about complete, I'll stop and finish trim them with a #11 scalpel.
The other method I use is to drill a pilot hole thru each slot (using a smaller than the slot drill bit in my pinvise) and again, finish opening it up with a #11 blade. This method is more time consuming but is probably what most people do. Again, whatever method you use, remember to contrast paint whatever is behind the holes or you'll lose the whole effect

John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: